1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New watching big'uns at work today
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Neato.
New (Missing background music) "Clouds" Joni Mitchell ;^>
New I'd hate to be downwind of that sucker!
EPA approved? :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New But isn't it just 2H+ + O-- ==> H2O ... like.. WET, Man !?
I thought that main engines ran on pure H.S.-level chemistry [?}
Only the boosters were aluminized-mush that self-ignites making Narsty exhaust to all us air-breathers.

..but I could be missing something.
Expand Edited by Ashton Aug. 17, 2017, 05:44:31 AM EDT
New Could be Nitrogen tetroxide (N2O4) and hydrazine (N2H4).
But who knows?
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Doesn't look like it.
Cheryl at Balloon-Juice:

The main evidence comes from North Korea in photos and bombastic statements. They fake stuff, including photographs, so the analysts also test the photos for enhancement. But there is much we can learn even from faked photos. These three show clearly that it is liquid-fueled. The orange clouds are distinctively dinitrogen tetraoxide, the oxidant for liquid-fueled missiles.

I assume the white clouds in box's clip are steam from masses of water cooling all over the stuff downstream from the rocket plume. But it might be from the combustion also too.

But it's not N2O4 if Cheryl is right.

Cheers,
Scott.
New high humidity and super heated air could be the source of the white clouds
if you look at the middle of the vid a darker cloud is taking over
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New RS-25 burned liquid oxygen/liquid nitrogen
These were the shuttle main engines, not the boosters. I don't think the fuel type is something easily changed.
New Re: RS-25 burned liquid oxygen/liquid (strike)nitrogen(/strike) hydrogen.
New Lemme go crawl under a rock now... Ouch!
     watching big'uns at work today - (boxley) - (10)
         Neato. -NT - (Another Scott)
         (Missing background music) "Clouds" Joni Mitchell ;^> -NT - (Ashton)
         I'd hate to be downwind of that sucker! - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
             But isn't it just 2H+ + O-- ==> H2O ... like.. WET, Man !? - (Ashton) - (6)
                 Could be Nitrogen tetroxide (N2O4) and hydrazine (N2H4). - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                     Doesn't look like it. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         high humidity and super heated air could be the source of the white clouds - (boxley)
                     RS-25 burned liquid oxygen/liquid nitrogen - (scoenye) - (2)
                         Re: RS-25 burned liquid oxygen/liquid (strike)nitrogen(/strike) hydrogen. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Lemme go crawl under a rock now... Ouch! -NT - (scoenye)

Truthful and transparent is great, but we don’t even have a coherent strategy to obfuscate.
76 ms