IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks.
J's brother-in-law has a iPhone 5 that she could use, but we did some more talking and looking around and won't go that route either.

It looks like she can get $60-ish off via a tradein at Verizon, so we'll probably just bite the bullet and get one directly from there.

I thought I had her talked into getting an iPhone 7, but reading the reviews it seems like it's kind of a lemon. Poor battery life, even some complaints about cellphone reception compared to the 6.

:-/

(She thinks a 7 Plus would be too big.)

I thought I had a good lead on an "new" iPhone SE on Swappa, but she wants the "rose gold" color, and I've been pretty insistent that she really doesn't want only 16 GB. Those combinations seem to be very rare at the moment. :-( So we'll head to the store and try to make sure they don't stick us with a $30 activation fee and who knows what else (sigh)....

So she'll probably get an iPhone SE in the next week or so and we'll wait to see what the iPhone 8 is like before getting anything fancier.

Thanks very much for the offer though!

Cheers,
Scott.
New I thought I was finally going to have to buy one this week-end.
The Nexus 4 has been acting up a lot, but nothing like this week-end. I moved my oldest from our cabin next door to Northern Iowa with a 26 foot UHaul truck this week-end. Once I got into Iowa, Google Navigation treated me to five hours of "take 207th street, continue for 6 miles, turn right on to something street, continue for four miles, turn right on to something else street, continue for 11 miles, etc. sic nauseum). Incredibly, some of these "streets" I was told to take were dirt roads in horrible condition! Around midnight, Google navigation said, "In two miles..." and then nothing. I look down at the phone and it's rebooting. And it continues to reboot for the next 10 minutes. I have no idea where I am. I stop. Power off, Power on and ... continuing to boot for another 10 minutes. Happily I had someone following me with a Nexus 6P that didn't hork up and we made it to our destination.

I'd decided I was going to get a new 32G iPhone ($400) when the Nexus finally died and this looked like the time. I left the Nexus plugged in overnight and when i woke, the little colored dots were still swirling (still rebooting IOW). I futzed with it for a few hours and finally got it back, so the SE can wait.

Having had to set up MobileIron for our iPhone deployment (and thus having had to become at least passingly familiar with Apple phones), once I do switch to iOS, there's nothing I can ever imagine that will make me ever use an Android phone again.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Sounds like the "bootloop" problem.
Apparently it's pathological in some phones (and is caused by failing solder bumps for the microprocessor chip). Whenever an LG phone is talked about at AndroidPolice, someone always gripes about "bootloops"...

My Nexus 4 would shut off and have trouble rebooting if it got too hot, and naturally it got too hot when it was being used for Google Maps while plugged in. :-/ It always heated up while just charging, also too.

Until you replace it, try to keep it cool, unplug it when it's fully charged, and try not to run it for hours on GMaps, is the only advice I can give.

Be aware that the SE isn't water resistant. Only the 7 and 7 Plus are among the current iOS phones.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks for the info.
You too, good luck. I really liked the SE and that's saying something because I don't go in much for gadgets. ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

New Got a new iPhone SE 32 GB at the local Apple store tonight.
It was pretty painless. We got it there to get the Rose Gold color she wanted, to get the 32 GB version, and to not have to deal with the Verizon people.

She got $70 for her old 5S which made her happy. (vs. the $61 that Verizon was offering.) The 5S worked well enough that they didn't say it was too broken to get anything for it, but it was touch and go. She had to log into her Apple account to approve wiping it, and the text entry box kept closing and opening as she typed in the characters. But the guy didn't care at that point (he had already approved the $70). Eventually she got it done.

While we were there, a young woman was wanting to trade in her iPhone 6 for a 6S with 128 GB and her Apple guy said she would only get $135 for it (and kinda recommended that she sell it elsewhere). So $70 really wasn't that bad, relatively anyway.

We decided it just didn't seem worth it to get a "new" one from eBay for the same price or off Swappa for maybe $25 less, and have any potential issues with it and have to fight with Joe's Garage and iPhone Emporium's return policies and the like.

Restoring from the local iTunes backup was a bit scary - it initially said there wasn't a compatible backup for it. Then iTunes downloaded some update to the SE, and updated the firmware, and then iTunes acted the way it was supposed to and updated and restored the backup just fine.

We haven't done anything with Verizon yet (nothing on the Verizon web page), so we'll have to see if she gets billed the $30 activation fee or not.

We've got 60 days to decide whether to get AppleCare or not. We'll probably skip it.

So far, so good.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Good deal. You can't beat an SE imo.
bcnu,
Mikem

New That should work fo her!
Getting rid of a clunker at a good price is a bonus,
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New As noted previously,
in my brief tenure I deemed it er, unBelievably-sharp as a display, and it (then anyway) possessed superior camera-antics to the base-6 models.

I accepted the 6s+ (not realizing then, the Weight-penalty) for their having gone to a stiffer alloy [because: "bending" was worrying some worry-warts!] ... making it a boat-anchor. {sigh}
I wanted Screen Real-estate over the bitchin compactness of the SE. But on any long phone call:you Realize that Steve Jobs WOULD have "kept it LIght" whereas ... Timmy-boy..

Oh well, they're both ~approx. Magical; thus far I've not become infected to point of perpetual-carry-Everywhen. I Shall resist that mind-set thankyouverymuch :-)

(I still HATE the bloody TYPING, even with mandatory stylus;) were I to text lots, I'd get a blue-tooth tiny keyboard as I also despise the idiot-automatic!! *Guessing-you-want-THIS! tail-fins
in successive OS updates. Yes, as regards much techno du jour, I Am a crank.

Bon appetít

* Yes, I do expect that, buried amidst n-menus IS a TURN-IT-OFF! switch, ... I'll get a round-tuit sometime, should it seem worth the time to immerse into the infinite-guts.
New :-) Glad it's treating you well. Thanks.
     So, J's Verizon iPhone 5S got wet... - (Another Scott) - (13)
         Got the model numbers figured out... - (Another Scott) - (12)
             If you can wait, do. - (pwhysall)
             "Those Bastards!!" - (Another Scott) - (10)
                 If you're willing to go back to a Verizon (3G max) iPhone 4, I'll *give* you one. - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
                     Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                         I thought I was finally going to have to buy one this week-end. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                             Sounds like the "bootloop" problem. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Thanks for the info. - (mmoffitt)
                         Got a new iPhone SE 32 GB at the local Apple store tonight. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             Good deal. You can't beat an SE imo. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                             That should work fo her! - (a6l6e6x)
                             As noted previously, - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 :-) Glad it's treating you well. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)

Now listen closely, for here the plot does twist.
73 ms