IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: a year before DDE
Buried in my second link there is this, which I think bears posting itself.

General of the Army Doug­las MacArthur, a man of infinite accomplishments, died embit­tered by the knowledge he had been frustrated in his efforts to crown his long career with two additional contributions to war and peace.

He proposed to win a decisive military victory in Korea by the employment of 500,000 Nation­alist Chinese, an atomic attack on the enemy's air and supply bases in Manchuria, and the spreading of a huge belt of radioactive cobalt across the northern frontier of that battle­scarred land.

In the realm of peace, he pro­posed to President‐elect Dwight D. Eisenhower, his one‐time aide, a plan to end the cold was which would have cast Mr. Eisenhower in what General MacArthur called a messianic role.
He found Mr. Eisenhower at first an enthusiastic backer of the MacArthur plan to end the cold war. But the counsel of John Foster Dulles prevailed and

General MacArthur grieved over both failures in an extraor­dinary interview he gave this reporter on Jan. 27, 1954, the day after his 74th birthday. His hands shook as he spoke of Korea:

“Of all the campaigns of my life, 20 major ones to be exact, the one I felt most sure of was the one I was deprived of wag­ing. I could have won the war in Korea in a maximum of 10 days, with considerably fewer casualties than were suffered during the so‐called truce pe­riod, and it would have altered the course of history.

“The enemy's air (power) would first have been taken out. I would have dropped between 30 and 50 atomic bombs on his air bases and other depots strung across the neck of Man­churia from just across the Yalu River from Antung (north­western tip of Korea) to the neighborhood of Hunchun (just north of the northeastern tip of Korea near the border of the U.S.S.R.).

“Between 30 and 50 atomic bombs would have more than done the job. Dropped under cover of darkness they would have destroyed the enemy's air force on the ground, wiped out his maintenance and his airmen. His only means of rebuilding would have been over the single­track Trans‐Siberian Railroad. It is an excellently run railroad but it could not have handled the material needed to rebuild the enemy's air force in a suffi­cient space of time.

“With the destruction of the enemy's air power I would then have called upon 500,000 of Chiang Kai‐shek's troops, sweetened by two United States Marine diivisions. These would have been formed Into two am­phibious forces. One, totaling four‐fifths of my strength and led by one of the Marine divi­’ sions, would have landed at Antung and proceeded eastward L along the road that parallels the Yahi.
“The enemy commander would have been starved out within 10 ’ days after the landings. I sug­gest now he would have sued for peace immediately after learning his air had been taken out and we had spread across his supply routes.

“You may ask what would have prevented the enemy's re­inforcements massing and crossing the Yalu in great strength.

It was my plan as our am­phibious forces moved south to spread behind us—from the Sea of Japan to the Yellow Sea—a belt of radioactive cobalt. It could have been spread from wagons, carts, trucks and planes. It is not an expensive material. It has an active life of between 60 and 120 years.

For at least 60 years there could have been no land invasion of Korea from the north. The enemy could not have marched across that radiated belt."

http://www.nytimes.com/1964/04/09/texts-of-accounts-by-lucas-and-considine-on-interviews-with-macarthur-in-1954.html

MacArthur was a very scary person. Did you hear Trump just put YAN Military General in a Civilian post? He's in charge of prisons.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Yes heard re the new Martinet towards-->[Something.] Something psycho.
     I've heard everything now. Dan Coats makes a salient point. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
         Yesterday, Tump said "It will be handled". - (a6l6e6x)
         If the general ignorance of today's periodic-"voters" matches their ignorance of Vietnam - (Ashton) - (2)
             Re: a year before DDE - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Yes heard re the new Martinet towards-->[Something.] Something psycho. -NT - (Ashton)

Those chicken wings are really spicy! Don't eat those!
123 ms