IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One wonders if McCain's health thing made him realize
You can talk a great game but if you keep voting with the assholes you're still an asshole.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New McCain's final lap ...
... Five years of "Fuck you, imma do what I want."
--

Drew
New I don't think it was that.
I think it was more a remembrance of Drumpf's "I prefer soldiers who don't get captured" statement. I think he set him up perfectly. Come back, vote for beginning debate, then at the last minute, snatch the candy away.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Simply.. I Hope that ... his mind is that agile. (despite n+1 previous counter-indications.)
But yours has a nice ring of authenticity to it!
New McCain and procedure
Nother will have seen this already, since it figures in a thread over at “Balloon Juice,” but this analysis, which gets into the arcana of Senate procedures, leaves open the possibility that the Senior Senator likes it served cold:
I’m not sure if it’s really being appreciated just how comprehensively the Republicans were just fucked over.

See, the Republicans have been trying to pass these godawful healthcare bills through a process called budget reconciliation, which, among other things, protects the bill from being filibustered in the Senate and only requires a simple majority of 50 votes (rather than 60, which the Republicans don’t have).

The thing is, the Senate can only consider one budget reconciliation bill per topic per year. Of course, if the bill dies in committee and never comes to an official vote, it doesn’t count- which is why they’ve been able to keep hammering away at the issue.

This bill, though, was allowed to come to the Senate floor, because the Republicans thought they’d secured the votes. Collins, Murkowski and the Democrats would vote no, everyone else would vote yes, and Pence would break the tie. And then McCain completely fucked them. And it was almost certainly a calculated move; he voted to allow the bill to come to the floor. Had McCain allowed it to die in committee, McConnell could have come back with yet another repeal bill; but he let it come to a vote, and now they can’t consider another budget reconciliation bill for the rest of the fiscal year. The Senate needs 60 votes to pass any kind of healthcare reform now.

So now they’re caught between a rock and a hard place. Either they concede defeat on the issue and try again later (causing a big, unpopular stink that could damage elections if they try it before the midterms, or risking losing the slim majority they already have if they wait) or they actually sit down with the democrats like adults and write a halfway decent healthcare bill.
While I can’t think of anything McCain might plausibly do to move me into the besotted admirer column into which he has roped so many reporters over the years, I hereby withdraw the “gelded maverick” tag I affixed to him on the occasion of that vote to proceed.

cordially,
New such Top-drawer reasoning just Gots to be:
a repository of Truthiness (or I be a monkey's second-cousin.)

It also supports that other postulate well,
that McCain Remembered-Elephant-grade: Orange-boy's nasty-quip re "being captured" ... as. if. The Frumpf were anything but the full-frontal-coward weasel from Weasel-dorf.

Love. It. Hoist-by-own Numbah One!!!ONE Pterodactyl, face all frozen in permanent glum (even on a Good day.)
New Ooh, arcane
And just the sort of thing you would expect* Trump's crew to not know about.

* Based on the recent DoE article.
--

Drew
New Brilliant!
New The doctors diagnosis may have had a role too.
It made him think about leaving that last impression.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New I think it's "only *pass* a single bill"
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     The day certainly has started out nicely. - (Another Scott) - (16)
         And in the last 24 hours, the sanctions bill vote -NT - (drook)
         Oh, and an appropriate Pete Souza photo. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             He found the pot of gold on Wall Street at the end of that rainbow. :-) -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Zooks! I see what you mean. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             Trump must love him. -NT - (malraux)
         One wonders if McCain's health thing made him realize - (malraux) - (9)
             McCain's final lap ... - (drook)
             I don't think it was that. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Simply.. I Hope that ... his mind is that agile. (despite n+1 previous counter-indications.) - (Ashton)
             McCain and procedure - (rcareaga) - (5)
                 such Top-drawer reasoning just Gots to be: - (Ashton)
                 Ooh, arcane - (drook)
                 Brilliant! -NT - (crazy)
                 The doctors diagnosis may have had a role too. - (a6l6e6x)
                 I think it's "only *pass* a single bill" -NT - (malraux)
         Mightn't we indulge next ..in a bit of Cannibalism Therapy? - (Ashton)

This message will self-destruct in five seconds...
174 ms