1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Not that. The statement, "My biology defines me."
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New The mind is biology. How could it be otherwise?
New Similarly, one's IQ defines one's potential, not one's intellect.
"Who we are" has far more to do with our life experiences and what we've chosen to learn from them than it does the biological limits of the biology of our minds. As Hunter S. Thompson put it:
Every man is the sum total of his reactions to experience. As your experiences differ and multiply, you become a different man, and hence your perspective changes. This goes on and on. Every reaction is a learning process; every significant experience alters your perspective.

But hey, that's philosophy and this is a Science forum. ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New "How could it be otherwise.."
Indeed.

Let me count the ways. (Ummm no. That's a Library.)
New It’s more like “Tribalism defines me.”
The “proud Irishman” had Emerald Isle-appropriate ditties played at his wake instead of arranging for a klezmer band. The actual Irishman had to produce what turns out to have been faulty documentation in order to assure skeptical in-laws that he was really kosher. I’m neither a biologist, a psychologist nor an anthropologist, but as we look about us today, and cast a glance backward toward the various human histories, it’s not difficult to credit that our species has hard-wired in it at least a predisposition to tribalism.

As to biology, well, my late mother was lavishly what is today called bipolar—personally I prefer the older, more evocative term “manic-depressive”—and among her offspring there are two or three of us who appear, fortunately less dramatically, to have inherited the tendency in some degree. Easy glum, easy glow.

cordially,
New Aren't we all today somewhat disposed in that direction
regardless of previous 'inner-filters'?
I Mean: the only way you can parse some of the National exchanges we all have witnessed is to ... picture (inside) the seething hatred(s) behind every other phrase in the Drumpf carnival-commune with the Faith-deranged.

(Having been around a few with similar inner-workings (some requiring some chemical help on occasion) I've come to lump these as a Trustworthy Lot generally :-) Bonus: it seems that these folk are apt to extirpate the general Euphemism-crutch seen to be so common in Muricans, and to be possessed of other perceptions as have--at least between us--quite outweighed any effects(?) of some Bad Hair Day moment.

Luck,
We all need that more than ever, when Language-murther is this rampant amidst the masses.
(Sorry about the er, :-)
     genomic sleuthing - (rcareaga) - (8)
         Yet something else I will never understand. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (7)
             "Who am I?" is one of those pretty basic questions... -NT - (Another Scott) - (6)
                 Not that. The statement, "My biology defines me." -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                     The mind is biology. How could it be otherwise? -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Similarly, one's IQ defines one's potential, not one's intellect. - (mmoffitt)
                         "How could it be otherwise.." - (Ashton)
                     It’s more like “Tribalism defines me.” - (rcareaga) - (1)
                         Aren't we all today somewhat disposed in that direction - (Ashton)

Just playing with your LRPD addiction...
81 ms