IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Any chance that oxtail cooking was in a pressure cooker?
That would shorten the cooking time considerably. Even putting a lot of salt in the water would raise the boiling temperature and also reduce cooking time. Finally, could the oxtails referred to in the book were less massive or thinner or cut up in slices to make it easier for the heat to penetrate to the core?

But, the text should clearly mention things like that.

No recipe verifcation in that book must be the norm.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Re: Any chance that oxtail cooking was in a pressure cooker?
"Large non-reactive saucepan" - doesn't sound like a pressure cooker to me.

Oxtail was specifically cut into 2 inch joints, as it always is.

The liquid included beef stock, a lot of tomatoes (peeled and chopped), a fair amount of onion and some herbs. After removing the finished oxtails this was to be boiled down to about 1/3, lightly thickened and used for sauce.

While oxtails aren't particularly fatty, with 4 pounds of them there was at least a half cup of fat floating on top - no mention of this. Of course, I strained the liquid out and pressed the vegetables to extract as much liquid as possible. I then defatted the liquid using my gravy separator.

I placed both liquid and solids in a saucepan and boiled it down to a little less than a third before thickening with 2 t Arrowroot - worked fine, but without defatting, the sauce would have been at least 1/3 fat - not good.

I will have my recipe up in a day or so with these corrections. It worked out very well my way.
New putting on Jaimacan accent, no you cookem in a duchie mon (cast Iron Dutch Oven)
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     I've been wondering . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
         Interesting about the proof-reading. - (static) - (5)
             Re: Interesting about the proof-reading. - (Andrew Grygus)
             My main complaint about English cookbooks remains . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                 But - there is HOPE! - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     I think I know why the Aussies ones are good at measurements. - (static) - (1)
                         Yes, especially a Tablespoon that's different from . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Any chance that oxtail cooking was in a pressure cooker? - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Re: Any chance that oxtail cooking was in a pressure cooker? - (Andrew Grygus)
             putting on Jaimacan accent, no you cookem in a duchie mon (cast Iron Dutch Oven) -NT - (boxley)

This is where the night goes from "we had fun" to "mistakes were made," isn't it?
85 ms