IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Two perspectives.
Aussie journalist got invited to write an article about this for a US audience.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2017/07/19/what-australians-dont-understand-about-the-minneapolis-police-shooting/?tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.f4f3729e507e

My takeaway: US police forces are systematically teaching their citizens that police officers are dangerous. Australia does not do that. Britain does not do that. Europe does not do that. Japan does not do that...

Wade.
New The police even do that explicitly
My oldest daughter is fascinated by abandoned buildings. She and a friend were exploring one when they were picked up by the police. It was, of course, trespassing.

Before they released her to us, the sergeant gave her the "this is why you shouldn't do that" speech. It included, "Once someone calls the police, we don't know what we're going to find when we get there. You could come around the corner with your phone up and the officer could think it's a gun."

I kept my mouth shut because I just wanted to get her out of there. But he just told her explicitly that one of the chief dangers of being somewhere she shouldn't be is that she could be shot by the police. Shouldn't you be teaching kids that when they're in a bad situation they want the police to show up?

For years, whenever someone in a movie or TV show says, "Whatever you do, don't call the police!" I tell the kids, "If anyone ever says that near you, next thing you do is dial 911." This douche nozzle just taught her that all those movies were right. No matter how bad it is, you can always make things worse by adding the police.
--

Drew
New That's why a gun in your hand is better than a cop on the phone.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Ironically..
My recent contact (and rare: over decades) with--in this case a 'Highway Patrol'--a matter which wasn't about infractions and such: was Remarkable.

This was a literate, friendly, Helpful guy right outta Norman Rockwell (but sans the treacly over-drawing of that legendary schmaltz-Master.) He noted my comments (on a mundane matter at hand) and I, realizing how 2017-Un-common was this interaction.. stood around for many minutes merely engaging in non-trivial Conversation.

(Was sooo tempted to utter some facile can-o'-worms platitude like, WHY. can't. all. ?? well-Most.. of your profession Be LIke You? ... given that such utterances [Duhh..] virtually demand next a Full Monty discussion etc. etc. I settled for just enjoying a [+]-surprise amidst the daily ... you. know.)

'Twas por moi an also decent-reminder that: *Every* cop must be treated as a Human, first) ..at least until s/he reveals his/her upper-torso tattoo of Der Führer writ-Tall. {{sigh}}

Carrion..
sometimes it's Tasty
New back in my thumb-tripping days
…the California Highway Patrol, on those occasions when I (a skinny undergraduate with hair down past the middle of my back) had anything to do with them, were unfailingly courteous and professional. Indeed, trapped one night on a desolate onramp near Milpitas, I flagged one down, explained my urgent need to make it back to Santa Cruz for my morning dishwashing shift, and prevailed upon him to give me a lift to a far better-traveled ramp a few miles down the road.

Now, my exchanges with local police, a demographic that appears to attract aged-out school bullies, tended to be of an entirely different character. Few things say “we don’t like your type in our town” as eloquently as a beating administered by three armed and uniformed men. That one was an outlier, but the usual tenor was, as Bob Dylan once put it, “the cops don’t need you, and man, they expect the same.”

cordially,
New And most of them won't even understand how it's so wrong.
I recall when growing up here in Australia there were multiple efforts to teach us that the police are on your side, for the most part. Basically, in a troubled situation, they can be a great help. In a lot of ways, this is remarkably true, and I have approached a police officer on several occasions before for help over a law-and-order issue. Our cops are actually very approachable and tend to have a good set of skills like handling domestic violence.

But we get a lot of US TV and see a fair bit of US news. We wonder at how broken the relationship seems to be between the various police forces in the US and the citizens, even as it has and does taint how we regard our own police force.

Justine Damond behaved towards the Minneapolis police just like most any random Aussie would towards the New South Wales police. I don't think people are noticing this distinction.

Wade.
New In the U.S. people teach their kids to treat cops like guard dogs
Don't startle them. Approach slowly. Avoid eye contact. Be submissive.
--

Drew
New Yeah, that's wrong.
New watch "alaska state troopers" they also have been trained like that
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Back when I was in High School (59-61) . . .
. . we all knew the most dangerous gang in Los Angeles was the Los Angeles police. There were various reforms between then and now, but I suspect things are sliding backwards quickly under Trump influence.
New That stayed true there from 74-77 as well.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New It Rizzo's army here
     One [sadly..] for Static - (Ashton) - (12)
         Two perspectives. - (static) - (11)
             The police even do that explicitly - (drook) - (7)
                 That's why a gun in your hand is better than a cop on the phone. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 Ironically.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                     back in my thumb-tripping days - (rcareaga)
                 And most of them won't even understand how it's so wrong. - (static) - (3)
                     In the U.S. people teach their kids to treat cops like guard dogs - (drook) - (1)
                         Yeah, that's wrong. -NT - (static)
                     watch "alaska state troopers" they also have been trained like that -NT - (boxley)
             Back when I was in High School (59-61) . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 That stayed true there from 74-77 as well. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     It Rizzo's army here -NT - (crazy)

I don't even see the point of having sound on this.
56 ms