IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New ASNA.
Anybody heard of this. God help me, I have a client that insists I use it w/VB. Any tips appreciated, but I doubt there will be any. The OLEDB provider for DB2/400 is severely broken, but it is better than ASNA. God. I'm doomed.
New Wish I could help
I looked at Visual RPG once, and came away cold... I think one of the clients I worked for in the '90s might have had Acceler8 (the name sounds familiar, anyway).

I assume they are using DataGate with VB...

Googling the newsgroups yielded [link|http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Asna+DataGate&hl=en&lr=&selm=34fca175.0%40news.sibs.pt&rnum=3|these results] - The overall impression I got was positive, at least support-wise. How is it broken?

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Yes, yes.
Acceler8DB. The "standard" is to use the VB Class wizard that ships with the Asna product. My problem is that since I stopped being a Clipper programmer in 1994, I haven't accessed any database w/out using Sql. From what I see, the classes are generated for each table, with properties representing columns. You open the entire file and get access to one record at a time - via the class modules. This app will likely involve a lot of

dblTotal = 0
lngRecCount = 0
Open table...
Go to first row.
do until eof
dblTotal = dblTotal + AsnaObject.FILEFORMAT.POUNDS
lngRecCount = lngRecCount + 1
move to next row
loop
dblAverage = dblTotal/lngRecCount

That is a lot of trouble to do "select sum(pounds) as TotalPounds, avg(pounds) as AveragePounds from AS400.LIBRARY.Table" not to mention consumption of network bandwidth.

Oh well, its their money ;-)
thank you and bcnu,
Mikem
     ASNA. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
         Wish I could help - (imric) - (1)
             Yes, yes. - (mmoffitt)