IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Different relationship to the State
You folks basically mistrust your state completely, which, as it turns out, is pretty much the correct thing to do - the American government and more specifically the organs of government that interact with the citizenry (security services, and especially the police) are demonstrably hazardous to your health.

The thing I see - and, I suppose, the hypothesis I'm testing - is that although J. Random Merkin distrusts The State, there seems to be some weird kind of need for authority emanating from somewhere - hence the cheerful ceding of rights to unaccountable entities.

We don't massively distrust our state in the same way. We do, of course, think that it comprises a pack of feckless grasping chiselling shits. That's a given. But we have this thing where we quietly just ignore things that are too onerous or just a bit silly.

To address your specific point: in the workplace, where the practical application of authority has much more effect on everyday life, we have arranged things so that fair play and decent treatment are (for the most part) comprehensively enshrined in law.

It's all well and good having a pile of constitutional rights, but at the end of the day, man's gotta eat and provide for his family - and in an economy where it's a labour-buyer's market, the playing field is not just not level, it's fucking vertical. And that's just not cricket.
New I think humans are generally hard-wired for deference to / need for authority
Here we've just chosen not to express that trait in the one place we could hope to limit it's exploitability.
--

Drew
New Not all of us
I think it's a subconscious and sometimes conscious belief that we have no choice in our dealings with government but we do have a choice in dealings with business entities. Which then sets our attitude of what we'll accept from either.
New Do people really believe that?
The defenders of big corps always say you're free to quit, but that's just the flip side of rich and poor alike being forbidden to sleep under bridges. I'm pretty sure people staying in shitty jobs because they can't afford to lose their insurance are pretty clear on the functional limits of "freedom".
--

Drew
New I was lookin for a job when I found this one
I have left many jobs for various reasons and the healthcare plan was never part of the reasoning
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Well, now we know about you.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     The American Dichotomy - (pwhysall) - (14)
         My theory: everyone thinks they can be rich - (drook) - (2)
             Well said. Also... - (Another Scott)
             Concur entirely on that title. - (Ashton)
         Do not read our Bill of Rights to understand us. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             ¡Precísamente! Señor.. - (Ashton)
             As confirmed recently when another work of those long-ago Americans was tweeted at their descendants - (CRConrad) - (1)
                 Thanks! I'd missed that. Now, to laugh? Or to weep? -NT - (mmoffitt)
         The Britsh Dichotomy - (boxley) - (6)
             Different relationship to the State - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 I think humans are generally hard-wired for deference to / need for authority - (drook) - (4)
                     Not all of us - (crazy) - (3)
                         Do people really believe that? - (drook) - (2)
                             I was lookin for a job when I found this one - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Well, now we know about you. -NT - (malraux)

With one hand tied behind my back.
88 ms