IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New re iPhone Eight
or iPhone Ate? [my wallet] say.. a quick preview on NPR this noon:

Rumored to now run into a ^Kilobuck^, er ^^Plus^^ (doubtless for the Deluxe.)

Noted in this skit: that most spend more time staring at these infernal machines quite more often than

Their children?
Their pets?

Implicitly..
(Spouses?)
themselves-in-mirrors??

(How I wish that John Wyndham were still roaming the teeming-Earth du jour, with Midwych Cuckoos sprinkled about many more places
than just the Drumpf Cabinet ..umm maybe 'cabinette? so to speak?)

He could Write US(A) Up d e v a s t a t i n g l y
New I was tempted with the iPhone 4, but determined better uses for my $400+
I mean, step back eleven years to 2006. You could have never convinced me back then that anyone would ever pay $400.00 for a damned phone. Who would pay that kind of money for the privilege of having that kind of constant intrusion into their lives? But then, I seriously thought Facebook would have gone the way of MySpace by the end of that very year or, in the worst case, no later than 2008. There is, apparently, no limit to the typical Murican's narcissism. The cell phone is just an extension of that for a great many. The millennials around me would find a device that could hook up to the Internet and *only* run a Facebook app to be entirely sufficient. I'm kind of surprised the Fascist Megalomaniacal Zuckerberg isn't marketing those.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New There has been a "Facebook phone" before.
It tanked. I don't think it would work now, either.

Wade.
New (Happily) didn't know that. Maybe launched too early?
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt June 30, 2017, 08:23:24 AM EDT
New No idea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_First

It seems the "Facebook-centric" UI was just not a winner, but it had other problems, too.

Wade.
New Not Facebook, just need WiFi and mobile data
If you gave teens a phone with WiFi and mobile data, but no actual voice plan, most of them wouldn't notice for days or weeks at a time. My 14-year-old got a call on a phone she'd had for at least 3 weeks and didn't recognize the ringtone as hers, or that it was an incoming call.
--

Drew
New That's what you call an iPod! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Almost, the iPod doesn't have cellular data
--

Drew
New That was me, up until last week
And then I put our house on the market*, and I've made and received more calls in a week than I did in the two months previously.

Seems that the real world (i.e. the part that involves money) still actually makes voice calls.

*We're moving to the coast. Target house is literally 5 minutes walk from the actual sea.
New nice
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New CNN chimes in with
7 ways the iPhone has made life worse.

Hardly new to the IGM/or moi, of course, but I still keep my specimen well beyond arms-length*, [ignoring its existence most hours of a day.]
Fortunately I am not infected with the, Golly-am-I-Missing-something? fools' errand as so obviously leads to the anti-wisdom of a clutter-of-factoids.
(That one was hard to learn, back when ed-ja-Kay-shun thought the opposite.. remember a Pedant in Your life?)

* Recall auditing a neuro-psychologist's observation that: when one of these IS to-hand nearby--while operating some Other digi-related thing, or even in a rare person-person confab, it remains
a perpetual distraction/barrier to fully attending to the Real-liff events you are imagining to time-share. It fairly.. beckons!
(not her words, but a decent synonym, I wot.) THAT, IMhO is the crux of its down-side(s)

Anyway, from my warped perspective.. I remain fascinated/engineering-wise with the Fact of so many faux-neurons (access to such, anyway) crammed so densely into such an innocent looking sleek glob.
While despising the mob-attention-span depletion, going on daily: exemplified by The Drumpf (whose persona should be a Cautionary Example) but clearly isn't ... enough. Yet.

That this innocent box can KIll your psyche, should you allow the mesmerizing ... even to Start seriously? seems an authentic threat.
(Just a W.A.G. of course) ... I suppose there already exist 7-Step-Withdrawal centers (or if not? Make Some and get rich like the other biz-heads.)

er, Over-and-Out

Carrion
Never-before packaged so densely as in ... ... a tiny [you guessed it.]
     re iPhone Eight - (Ashton) - (10)
         I was tempted with the iPhone 4, but determined better uses for my $400+ - (mmoffitt) - (8)
             There has been a "Facebook phone" before. - (static) - (2)
                 (Happily) didn't know that. Maybe launched too early? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     No idea. - (static)
             Not Facebook, just need WiFi and mobile data - (drook) - (4)
                 That's what you call an iPod! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     Almost, the iPod doesn't have cellular data -NT - (drook)
                 That was me, up until last week - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     nice -NT - (boxley)
         CNN chimes in with - (Ashton)

Reese's Pieces? Am I in a different pit this time?
125 ms