IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Concur.
Throughout my elementary school years THE big issue was population growth. Before I was ten, I knew what exponential growth was from what I'd been taught about "the world's population explosion" (that's what I recall my teachers calling it). If you'd have asked me at any point before my 11th birthday what was humanity's biggest challenge I'd have answered in less than a nanosecond, "Over population." AFAIK, that topic hasn't even been discussed in the last 30 years. And it will, as you rightly point out, kill us if nothing else does.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Relevant corroboration from Edward Teller
wikiquotes

There is no case where ignorance should be preferred to knowledge — especially if the knowledge is terrible.

Discovered that a quote of Albert A. Bartlett was (IME) attrib. to Teller, (though altered significantly, so not bogus)

[Bartlett]
“The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function.”

[Teller] and unverified
"~I believe that the [end?] of the human race will occur for its failure to emotionally comprehend the exponential function."

I prefer Door #2 because, while a math person might grok ex to fullness: without a massive/emotional contemplation of what this MEANS ... you're just a decent math technician.

(Obligatory counterpoint ..to the obloquy Teller earned for his testimony re In the Matter of J. Robert Oppenheimer) is this encomium:

When we came back through the trees to the house, we heared a strange sound coming through the open door. The children stopped their chatter and we all stood outside the door and listened. It was my old friend from long ago, Bach's Prelude No. 8 in E-flat minor. Superbly played. Played just the way my father used to play it. For a moment I was completely disoriented. I thought: What the devil is my father doing here in California? We stood in front of our Berkeley house and listened to that prelude. Whoever was playing it was putting into it his whole heart and soul. The sound floated up to us like a chorus of mourning from the depths, as if the spirits in the underworld were dancing to a slow pavane. We waited until the music came to an end and then walked in. There, sitting at the piano, was Edward Teller. We asked him to go on playing, but he excused himself.
Freeman Dyson, Disturbing the Universe (1979), p. 92

..as today: the massive deconstruction builds to its (whatever terror they have hidden within 'Health'? the word.)

Carrion.
New Excellent. Thanks muchly.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
     mmoffit - does this sound like you? - (drook) - (9)
         Agree in large part. But the economy is not the only thing worth talking about - just most important - (mmoffitt) - (8)
             Where has this mmoffitt been? - (drook) - (3)
                 I've been here. Where have you been? :0) - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     Which special election is that? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                         GA and SC -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Concur, v. nice description of Econ insanities, but.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                 Concur. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     Relevant corroboration from Edward Teller - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Excellent. Thanks muchly. -NT - (mmoffitt)

I'm reconciled to the existence of idiots in the world, but I'm bitterly resentful of whoever it was who first thought to make computer technology available to them.
39 ms