IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New There's serendipity and then there's serendipity.
Search engines narrow your information search in ways that eliminate discovery. Here's an example. I'm a grad student in a university library. I'm struggling with a particular problem in algebraic topology, so I decide to take a break and get up to walk around a bit. I go down a floor and am just walking through the racks of books and periodicals when the title of a journal catches my eye. I take it off the shelf and sit down to read a few pages and discover that research is being conducted into ancient canal building in the US desert Southwest. Now, I'm sure that if I googled "algebraic topology" eventually a link about Native American canal building in the desert Southwest would show up, right?
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New There's grad students...
... and then there's the other 95%* of the population that doesn't have such "serendipitous" access to a university library. The internet is the great democratization of information that used to be the province of the elite. I'm astounded that you don't understand this.

I grew up in the age of World Books, and I went to a university. There's no comparison to the availability of information now. Go sell that disingenuous BS somewhere else. :-)

* 20.5 million university students out of 321 million, United States only.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     "Weapons of Math Destruction How Big Data Increases Inequality and Threatens Democracy." - (Ashton) - (28)
         Accelerating inequality has always been the only possible "contribution" of computer technology. - (mmoffitt) - (25)
             Yeah, but being wrong is kind of a hobby for you, right? - (pwhysall) - (19)
                 In what way has private use of IT made life better? - (mmoffitt) - (18)
                     Ever read a 100-page legal "brief"? - (drook)
                     I don't even know what "private IT" means. -NT - (malraux)
                     Bull By-products! - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
                         Questions. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                             So you'd have the printing press controlled as well -NT - (crazy)
                             Curmudgeon much? - (malraux)
                             Utter Bull By-products, piled higher and deeper. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                 There's serendipity and then there's serendipity. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     There's grad students... - (malraux)
                             Re: Questions. - (Ashton) - (4)
                                 Yes, I was ambiguous and overstated. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                     It wouldn't have made any difference - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                         The OP would be a good start. And of vastly greater consequence ... - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                             Thankfully the events in Manc have not touched me, mine or anyone in my extended circle - (pwhysall)
                     If your own life were made worse by being on here, then you wouldn't be. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                         "Net negative" != "Entirely negative". HTH. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                             If it were net negative you wouldn't be here. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 That doesn't follow at all. - (mmoffitt)
             Please define the term - (crazy) - (4)
                 Non-governmental, Non-healthcare, Non-university, etc. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                     Oh, you mean corporate use - (drook) - (2)
                         Yeah, I assumed as much but wanted to be sure - (crazy) - (1)
                             Demur. - (Ashton)
         Link to actual podcast of that episode: - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Thanks for completing my - (Ashton)

Even if you don't understand anything, you'll get to see the dots...
96 ms