IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Things are certainly moving briskly toward…what?
I forget: do metaphors circle the drain clockwise or* counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere? Four months in, and this lot has achieved as much by way of self-immolation as Nixon had managed by the time Judge Sirica lost his temper with the original Watergate burglars. Regarding today’s announcement that Robert Mueller, reputed to be a detail-oriented, rather starchy straight arrow with strong emotional ties to the agency he used to head, has been appointed “special counsel,” Charles Pierce observed “The administration’s toes just lost contact with the bottom of the pool.”

Distant Watergate analogies aside, we’re also all swimming in uncharted currents. It’s difficult to see how this ends well for the country or its already considerably-dented civic norms, although it will undoubtedly be entertaining in a morbid sort of way. I do worry sometimes that Trump will trough too soon.

cordially,

*Yeah—I know, I know.
New Re: difficult to see how this ends well for the country
It is a test, to be sure. But I actually think (to seriously abuse Marx) in the end, "revolution may not be necessary in the United States due to its ability to adhere to the principles of the U.S. Constitution." IF what has been suggested is true (and I find nothing in Trump's existence to suggest that all the worst parts are anything but true), and IF the investigation determines what a great many (here, at least) suspect to be true and IF the House impeaches and the Senate convicts, well then no one will be happier to admit he's been terribly wrong than I.

Admittedly, those are three non-trivially sized if's. How they turn out could well determine the survival of the nation and fortify it by making clear that (notwithstanding the Cult of Personality to which the flyover region inhabitants are so susceptible), we are, after all, a nation of laws with the appropriate institutions to see that they are enforced without regard to what the Koch Brothers want.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Old acquaintance of mine, Flavio: "patch this part of the constitution".
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New The best outcome...
...is for this shit to circle the drain for the next four years.

A rapid conclusion is what you don't want. You'll get President Pence (assuming Trump doesn't find a way to throw him under the bus, too) who is an experienced politician who looks right and sounds right and, by the way, is basically Hitler - Now With Added Jesus. And who will absolutely leverage the shit out of the House and Senate majorities to go all Hitler on your collective colonial baboon asses.

Yeah, drag this shit out, cripple the GOP in the mid-terms, and put them in the position where they have to remove Trump themselves for 2020.
New Sounds pretty much exactly right.
New That's the most likely outcome.
But, just as with Brexit, there'll be plenty enough damage to undo for whomever the next poor bastards are who inherit this mess.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
     Things are certainly moving briskly toward…what? - (rcareaga) - (5)
         Re: difficult to see how this ends well for the country - (mmoffitt)
         Old acquaintance of mine, Flavio: "patch this part of the constitution". - (CRConrad)
         The best outcome... - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Sounds pretty much exactly right. -NT - (CRConrad)
             That's the most likely outcome. - (mmoffitt)

Damn, man, you swing a mean left field passive aggressive non sequitur.
43 ms