IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New As it is on W10. I find the W7 start menu horrifically limiting.
In practical terms, you can pin about a dozen or so apps to the Windows 7 start menu. It's pretty basic. You can't even do a web search or basic sums in the search box.

But you can run W7 if you like. I like having more performance on the same hardware.

(My work laptop has 7 on it, lest you think I'm some kind of mixed-version masochist at home)

Every piece of annoyance in W10 is 100% mitigated by the menu you get when you right-click the start button.

What's that? Sorry. Can't hear you over the sound of me starting an admin PowerShell prompt in 2 clicks.

On a more serious note, older versions of Windows will slide into irrelevance as high-DPI displays become mainstream. I dunno if you've used one, but this here XPS has a 3200x1800 display at 13"; this means I run Windows at 250% scaling. Text basically looks like print; images are deliciously crisp. And, ironically, at these resolutions and scales, the whole MacOS vs Windows font smoothing question basically goes out of the window.

Windows early than 8 is a bit of a shitshow at these high resolutions; you can dial things up to about 150%, but that's not nearly enough, and many apps end up looking like complete disasters - Windows 10 is much better at dealing with legacy and ill-behaving apps that don't obey the scaling rules.
New Resolution? I'll give you Dell screen resolution!
Got a new MacBook Pro at work a while ago. No DisplayPort (or wossname?), only USB-C, so new "dock" multi-connector dongle... With only HDMI video connector. So my couple-years-old Dell U2713HM now displays glorious 1920x1080. :-(

Dragging cmd.exe above the line on the W7 start menu also gives me access to the glorious old "C:\>" command prompt in two clicks, BTW. (And the new "PowerShell" one too, if I wanted; just never got into that language... yet?)
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New On PowerShell
For Windows scripting, it's the future. It's got proper syntax (I know bash, and I also know actual not-congealed-over-decades languages, and bash is fucking horrific), gives you full access to the .net object model, etc. yadda.

It's a bit wordy, and you deffo want to use the PowerShell ISE environment at least at first.

Example (with a stupid syntax highlighting scheme that makes symbols a delightful salmon-pink-on-white colour):

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/sourcecode.php?src=airreg_ps
New That's bizarre
I just hooked up my work Dell E7470 to my own QNix 2710 monitor (1440p) via HDMI, and I got 1440p.
New Huh.
Never played with the scaling before in Windows. On my Surface Pro 3, it recommends 150% but since I raised the default size on my phone a few weeks ago (ageing eyes...), I might give 175% a try for a little while.

Thank you for the idea.

Wade.
New Re: Huh.
It's remarkable. Here's a couple of worked examples. You don't realise the diff until you see them together.

You at 100%:

You at 250%:

And here you are, scaled to the same size:

Expand Edited by pwhysall May 20, 2017, 06:07:05 AM EDT
New I can already see the difference.
The less "wasted whitespace" on Facebook was immediately noticeable.

Wade.
     Installing the Windows 10 Tech Preview - (pwhysall) - (21)
         Hope you survive with sanity intact. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (17)
             I did! - (pwhysall) - (16)
                 Free is good. - (Another Scott) - (15)
                     Make money? - (pwhysall) - (14)
                         mostly agree - (boxley) - (8)
                             At least as of W2K, the start menu was configurable. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                 As it is on W10. I find the W7 start menu horrifically limiting. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                     Resolution? I'll give you Dell screen resolution! - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                         On PowerShell - (pwhysall)
                                         That's bizarre - (pwhysall)
                                     Huh. - (static) - (2)
                                         Re: Huh. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             I can already see the difference. - (static)
                         E.g. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             That's not confusing. - (pwhysall)
                             Windows Control Panel: Often Reimagined, Never Finished - (altmann)
                             Win 7 rework of P&D was already a disaster - (scoenye) - (1)
                                 Yup. :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
         Re: Installing the Windows 10 Tech Preview - (andread) - (2)
             Not everyone is excited about it. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 ah, tablet too big to put in your pocket and cant receive phone calls -NT - (boxley)

Damn, it was going to be a crowded tent.
108 ms