1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The rest of the world doesn't know what lemonade is
--

Drew
New It is more that they may not know what Sprite is
(I may have missed something at the beginning of the discussion as for some reason, the page cuts off vertically right before the image.)

At least for the European part of the argument: it is not as dominated by Coke and Pepsi as is the US, and exclusivity contracts are not as widespread. When traveling, even locally, you wouldn't have a clue as to what brands an establishment stocked, or what a label stood for. So "lemonade" became the generic term when ordering to expect something lemon flavored to show up. The same goes for "orangeade" in French speaking parts.

Related: sometimes a major brand does not export all its labels. Growing up, only Schweppes tonic water was available, and it was the only such thing. So "Schweppes" and "tonic water" became synonymous. Much hilarity then ensues when traveling to the US for the first time...
New Re: It is more that they may not know what Sprite is
In the UK, we differentiate between lemonade (clear lemon pop), still lemonade (the stuff you're on about), cloudy sparkling lemonade (American-style stuff, but fizzy), and Sprite. And 7-Up.

Lemonade defaults to the first definition, and then through the others. Sprite and 7-Up are not lemonade.
New Clearly delineated, thanks..
..and useful should I find a way to get to I.O.M. in the futchah (while Muricans Have such a thing in mind ..as a futchah. :-)
New Yeah...
As is pointed out in the post, in Aus "Lemonade" = Sprite, 7up, etc. Slightly lemony and sparkling. Schweppes also sells it and actually calls it "Lemonade". Unflavoured is called "soda water". Schweppes sells that, too. Tonic Water (also usually from Schweppes) is soda water with quinine.

I don't think we have our own term for the non-sparkling American version. But we kinda understand it, bascially courtesy of American media.

Wade.
New It's been that way a long time.
Getting ready to be shipped to the US, in Bremerhaven Germany in 1950, (before there was a Sprite that Coca Cola Co. started it in 1961) I heard a soft drink peddler announce what he had and mentioning among other items, "limonade". Not sure why I remember that.

Expand your world, Drook! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Ger. "Limonade" = Eng. (US) "Soda pop", "Soft drink", whatevs.
Fanta, Sprite, 7-Up are all brands of Limonade. (I suppose technically Coke, Pepsi and other colas are too, but they're usually named "Cola" generically.)

Yeah, sure, I assume Germany -- like every other country -- also has / had the precursor mix-it-from-scratch version, but at a guess only grannies who make it for more or less appreciative grandchildren use the word in that sense any more.

The word itself, with its "-ade" ending, looks French, so to be fair, I'd say it's the French, not USAmericans, who get to define what it means globally. Dunno for sure, but I'd guess they're with Germany, Australia, and the rest of the world. So, no, Drew: It's America, not the rest of the world, that doesn't know what lemonade is. HTH with your cultural superiority / blithe assumption complex.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
     The rest of the world doesn't know what lemonade is - (drook) - (6)
         It is more that they may not know what Sprite is - (scoenye) - (2)
             Re: It is more that they may not know what Sprite is - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Clearly delineated, thanks.. - (Ashton)
         Yeah... - (static)
         It's been that way a long time. - (a6l6e6x)
         Ger. "Limonade" = Eng. (US) "Soda pop", "Soft drink", whatevs. - (CRConrad)

No, your ass does that all on its own.
187 ms