IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This bit...
But not everything about the war was negative. As a Marine lieutenant in Vietnam, I saw how it threw together young men from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds and forced them to trust one another with their lives. It was a racial crucible that played an enormous, if often unappreciated, role in moving America toward real integration.
...rings true to me.

The ironic thing is, it doesn't really take a war. Just introduce conscription, compulsory military -- or other nationally-useful -- training for everyone.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New I dunno
The Air Force Academy has become a bit of a Christianist boot camp. The officer ranks are of course different from the potential conscript population, but tolerance is not on the menu.

I think the article is probably right that it wasn't just the draft that changed things. Training together isn't the same as fighting together.
--

Drew
     'Vietnam: The War That Killed Trust' ..blongs here (to a metaphysical-Certainty) - (Ashton) - (5)
         Did presidents change, or just our perception of them? - (drook) - (2)
             The Presidents didn't change. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                 Dunno. - (Another Scott)
         This bit... - (CRConrad) - (1)
             I dunno - (drook)