IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's here.
Y'all know the salient facts. Amazing display, misplaced fingerprint sensor, the frisson of danger that comes from wondering whether it'll explode, Bixby thinger, weird split of SnapDragon 835 for the US, Exynos something-or-other for the RoW.

Well, it's certainly exceeded my expectations. My current work phone is a Samsung Galaxy A3, running Android 6. It's ooooookay. To be fair, it does wifi calling and HD voice and runs Outlook, and that's 90% of my use case, right there. It's small and a bit clunky but it's a cheeky chappie that mostly gets the job done. It's the Norman Wisdom of the work phone world.

The Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus is not like this. The S8+ is tall and elegant and impeccably turned out.

The QHD+ screen is just glorious. I get a 6.2" display in a footprint that's narrower and only a shade taller than the iPhone 6S+. It's crisp and bright and vivid and the blacks are just so damn black (none more blacker!). DisplayMate have rated this as the best mobile display they've ever tested, and you can see why.

The build quality is (whisper it) as good as Apple's. Only with a notification LED and a front-facing IR camera that can scan your irises, and a heart-rate monitor, and no bezels to speak of, and Bluetooth 5, and a faster camera, and fast charging, and all the other things that are probably coming to the iPhone 8. The industrial design is clearly better than the iPhone 6 family; all the symmetry in the world on the bottom edge can't make up for the fact that OH EM GEE DEM BEZELS IZ YUGE. Anyhoo.

It's fast and easy and you can twiddle everything, and Samsung's apps (Health, Calendar in particular) are actually pretty good. Touchwiz looks pretty nice these days, especially compared to Norman.

Samsung provide a thing called Smart Switch, which lets your Galaxy plug into your iPhone and suck its brains out. It seamlessly transferred all my call history, message logs, pictures, music, files and so on. Easy as pie.

One thing that is interesting - the gulf in functionality between the iOS version of the Samsung Gear app and the Android version. Wow. How much of that is for technical reasons and how much is for political/marketing, I dunno. But iOS Gear can't do shit compared to Android Gear.

Android still puts a boatload of shit into the status bar (location, BT, wifi, 4G, alarm, battery, clock, uncle Tom Cobbely and all) and I'm pretty sure the notifications are made of witchcraft. Also (and in common with Apple), every single ringtone and alarm sound that comes with the phone is 100% twee bullshit.

Overall it seems like a pretty awesome phone. I got the orchid grey one, but that's kind of academic. I've only used it in the nude (the handset, not me) for long enough to go "woah, this is going in a case" and it's now in an orange UAG case. And all the S8 colours have a black front, presumably to help conceal the fleet of sensors and cameras.

Any questions?
New Oh, one more thing
Turns out that the fingerprint sensor is not at all in a dumb place if you're left-handed.

Fuck you, righties!
New That's sinister! :)
All of us righties can move on.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     So long, Apple. It's been fun. - (pwhysall) - (63)
         Enjoy it. - (Another Scott) - (38)
             Edge does not preclude case. - (pwhysall) - (36)
                 No glass screen protector, though... :-( -NT - (Another Scott) - (35)
                     Boom! Verizon (!) to the rescue! - (pwhysall) - (34)
                         Interesting. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott) - (33)
                             OTOH... - (Another Scott) - (32)
                                 Fairy snuff. - (pwhysall) - (31)
                                     I use the same brand - (drook) - (15)
                                         Six? Amateur - (pwhysall) - (14)
                                             Geez, now I want to try to remember mine - (drook) - (1)
                                                 Now you've tempted me... - (static)
                                             Look how I thought the iPhone 3G's screen was "vast and bright" :D - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                                 I've a somewhat lengthier view of er, Bitchin resolution (but with similar retrospectives.) - (Ashton) - (7)
                                                     S8+ display is 529dpi. Good film is ~5000dpi. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                         Thanks much, all good points - (Ashton) - (5)
                                                             Re: pressing the shutter at the right instant - (drook) - (4)
                                                                 Good thoughts, thanks. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                                     I've heard the heartbeat theory ... Don't like it - (drook)
                                                                     Don't contemplate doing it yourself - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                         Thou sayest and, shall seek such a One via the magick of (hell, Google or Other) - (Ashton)
                                             5 - (malraux)
                                             Wow, that list will delay your retirement! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                                 What you guys get to spend on healthcare, I get to spend on gadgets -NT - (pwhysall)
                                     My V10 would have been very unhappy without the glass screen protector. - (Another Scott) - (14)
                                         Shirt pockets. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                             Re: Shirt pockets. - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                                 When you get old enough to require reading glasses I think the pocket will return. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                     I'm already there - (pwhysall)
                                                     Nope. Progressive bifocals FTW. -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                                                         +1 True -NT - (drook)
                                                 Well, I learned something about skate shoes! - (a6l6e6x)
                                                 That I'd like to see - (drook) - (1)
                                                     That'd be awesome - (pwhysall)
                                                 Here we wear the plaid shirt/jeans/skate shoes even on client/board/etc. days. - (malraux)
                                         Last time I put a phone in a shirt pocket ... - (drook) - (3)
                                             Shirt pockets are deadly. - (malraux) - (2)
                                                 I don't either, that's why I put my hand over my pocket when I bend over. ;0) - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                     Me too! .... bend over next? hand-over-pocket is now robotically inculcated :-) - (Ashton)
             On LG - (pwhysall)
         Not HMS QE's deck I hope >:-) -NT - (scoenye) - (1)
             I'd be waiting a while, if so! -NT - (pwhysall)
         *chucks and runs* - (malraux) - (9)
             bgr.com? - (pwhysall) - (4)
                 Why do you think I ran? :-) - (malraux) - (3)
                     Re: The Belkin one - (drook)
                     £35. Bloody hell. -NT - (pwhysall)
                     Speed will be interesting - (pwhysall)
             Re: *chucks and runs* - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 It was a drive-by. - (malraux)
                 Yeah, that 4K rendering stuff was kinda meaningless. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     There is a price war going on, right now - (pwhysall)
         It's here. - (pwhysall) - (2)
             Oh, one more thing - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 That's sinister! :) - (a6l6e6x)
         Galaxy S8 and and S8 Plus drop test - (Bman)
         Three weeks in. - (pwhysall) - (7)
             Couple more things I miss. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 Re: Facetime - (mvitale) - (4)
                     Re: Facetime - (pwhysall) - (3)
                         Why that distinction? No Hangouts, but yes Mail -NT - (drook) - (2)
                             Google burns everything that everyone loves - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 I liked Reader - (drook)
             Pity that your Main Hat is (in the betting parlour?) - (Ashton)

Why does this guitar smell like CHEESE?!?
237 ms