IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I find this non-discussed issue about flight UAE 3411 interesting.
We all know a deadhead crew of four had to bump passengers on the flight and there's complaints everywhere (justifiably) about the treatment of the Chinese physician. But, there's something I haven't heard anyone talking about that gives me pause. United needed those four crew members to fly to Louisville from Chicago to work another flight, right? You can drive from O'Hare airport to Louisville airport in under five hours. What's that tell us? The airline doesn't know which crew will be on which flight five hours before take-off.

I find that somewhat remarkable. I am alone, I take it, in my mystification.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Lots of possible reasons
Flight was cancelled or added. Flight was delayed and crew was going to miss a connection. Etc.

The more obvious question is why didn't they hire a car to take them?
--

Drew
New No time to look, but some claim that sitting in a car doesn't count as "rest", or something.
New If that's so, then how can sitting in a plane count?
Which is more hassle to get into? And, given how shitty air travel amenities have become, how crappy a car would you have to use for it to be less comfortable?
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Yup.
The company I work for has a contract to move flight personnel between various airports.
New United will be paying for this one dearly!
Friendly skies, indeed.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New We're pretty much done with them
We became United customers by default following the Continental gobble. It looks like the worst of the C-suite sociopaths remained following that adventure. Fares + fees have gone through the roof, the mileage program was destroyed for actual flying passengers. This incident is the icing on the cake.
New Having managed to escape 'Air' since 9/11 thus: Amtrak..
And now within the (possibly.. Shirley we can See..) LAST 'Presidency as constituted now', I foresee that I cannot get to Isle of Man and a few.. via train:
SO: I quite wonder what *My* first encounter with Fatherland Security droids shall evoke within.

(Am quite not so hoary as.. ever to have hit a Deutsche bahnhof during the reign of The German Caligula-fo-the-Ages) [shall they Ever get truly OVER the Horror that One Man-creature wreaked in THER NAME??]
Well, here WE are 4-23-17: racing to share THAT SAME podium. As mindless, feckless, GULLIBLE cohorts.

Worse! Now the Bannon Shogunate has directly attacked/reversed ALL the hard-won protections of every species of animal, TOO (including ours) with an alacrity which can only be comprehended in Jungian/Freudian terms.

The race to realize the **Control-fantasy which arose within young Donald, a fantasy thoroughly inculcated by his deranged-Vater-from that very first-Vaterland. Its basis?
[Right out of Alistair Sim in School for Scoundrels] (recommended for your viewing discomfort on Hallowe'en.)] Its message?
"He who is not One-Up is ... ... One-Down."

Yup, lookin forward/sorta to that First encounter with Faatherland Security, the ultimate CHA. CHA. CHA. for fascist-Murica Du Jour.

Watch yer back fellow aviators! {as that legendary spam-in-a-can: can *you* imagine flying ..with 499 Others in one of those New Winged Auditoria from Worldwide Air-Corporate??)

Ch.. ch.. Cheers! + Vroom ;^>

Ed:
** As an experienced military academy member-who-escaped-inculcation, I can see in-depth just How The Drumpf's psyche was drawn to intertwine the daily Useless-rituals of such places:
into the litany he'd been *drilled!*-in ALL ALONG. It is, por moi: one of the best Q.E.D.s yet encountered in Americans or Muricans. (Or Germans du that jour.)

It does seem, at times that: some.. psyches.. prove to HAVE BEEN FUCKED from the GET-GO.
(But I gots NO sympathy for this massively-Evil fucktard.)
Expand Edited by Ashton April 23, 2017, 03:47:08 PM EDT
New Only once since 9/11 domestically for me. That was enough. Now's it's 22 Tango or nothing.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Why would they not know?
I used to be friends with a pilot for Qantas. He knew which flights he would be on for weeks in advance, and probably the exact aircraft most of the time, too.

Wade
New And then someone calls out sick
And the pilot shuffle happens.
New But contingency planning takes more than 5 hours? Seems daft to me.
Of course, the "flying public" (who wants to fly from Chicago to LA for $35.00) and the airline shareholders would never allow for the allocation of additional funding/pay for stand-by crews closer than that I suppose.
bcnu,
Mikem

New Trouble with those of us who've ever *managed.. vastly complex machines-in-sync
* er, successfully
is that we suppose that Other, superficially Less-complex matters as Will arise: would.. Should! fucking-A Be equally attended-to (coming close to Our celebrated successes.)

{{sigh-me Too}}

But the above lore is inextricably (!) intertwined with the satisfiction? we gets--first observing some involuted clusterfuck/an accumulation of band-aids now gone wrong,
(and the Applicator persons long ago left the room)--and somehow ..parsing the mess into solvable bits and Succeeding. amIright?

BUT some such agglomerations (like say, the overall interdependent tiny tasks which get "the geese" aboard and strapped-in, then fed something, etc.
just CAN'T! prepare for, say: a bloody SHOE-bomber? and like that.

The above conceivably Brand-destroying over-reaction was the problem here; the Absence of instant Imagination of next priorities, how to invoke the best-fit etc. ...
THAT absence demonstrates to all that THIS particular Corp. when faced with a sick-in for example: will/Did "drop the atom bomb on Luxemborg".

I believe that makes it a Fair Cop that: United should join BOAC, PanAm, Hughes (!?) and a passel of other marques now found only in collector memorabilia.
They earned the obloquy. The old-fashioned way, that of (NOT-) being. an ass. Rest case.
     I find this non-discussed issue about flight UAE 3411 interesting. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
         Lots of possible reasons - (drook) - (3)
             No time to look, but some claim that sitting in a car doesn't count as "rest", or something. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 If that's so, then how can sitting in a plane count? - (CRConrad)
             Yup. - (crazy)
         United will be paying for this one dearly! - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             We're pretty much done with them - (scoenye)
             Having managed to escape 'Air' since 9/11 thus: Amtrak.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Only once since 9/11 domestically for me. That was enough. Now's it's 22 Tango or nothing. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Why would they not know? - (static) - (3)
             And then someone calls out sick - (crazy) - (2)
                 But contingency planning takes more than 5 hours? Seems daft to me. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Trouble with those of us who've ever *managed.. vastly complex machines-in-sync - (Ashton)

Remember, rank times IQ is a constant.
115 ms