IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Churchill was the greatest war leader in history!
No one was more prepared to lead, or saw the war coming as early, or understood in detail what had to be done. It was an existential war for the UK and for that matter Western democracies.

I just wish his 6 tomes were written later so more of the secret stuff could have been mentioned.

But then, I was living (barely) in Germany before the Normandy invasion. After the war ended my father rapidly moved the family out of the American Zone to the British Zone. Americans were shipping folks like us back to the Soviet Union, no questions asked. The British were setting up UN refuge camps. The Soviets were allowed to come to the camps and offer a return, but everyone knew better. The man who coined the term Iron Curtain saw what was coming.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New certain streets have curtain coinage
The man who coined the term Iron Curtain saw what was coming.
True enough, I suppose. Problem is, the man who coined the term (in the original sense of that idiom) in this connection wasn’t Churchill:
The third, Stalin, follows much more far-reaching goals than his two comrades. He certainly does not plan to announce them publicly, but he and his 200 million slaves will fight bitterly and toughly for them. He sees the world differently than do those plutocratic brains. He sees a future in which the entire world is subjected to the dictatorship of the Moscow Internationale, which means the Kremlin. His dream may seem fantastic and absurd, but if we Germans do not stop him, it will undoubtedly become reality. That will happen as follows: If the German people lay down their weapons, the Soviets, according to the agreement between Roosevelt, Churchill, and Stalin, would occupy all of East and Southeast Europe along with the greater part of the Reich. An iron curtain would fall over this enormous territory controlled by the Soviet Union, behind which nations would be slaughtered.
—Joseph Goebbels, “Das Jahr 2000,” 25 February 1945. You may read the rest here. (I only knew this because it was mentioned in Richard J. Evans’ The Third Reich at War, the concluding volume of his Third Reich trilogy, which I read this past month.)

cordially,
Expand Edited by rcareaga April 18, 2017, 09:12:29 AM EDT
New Re: certain streets have curtain coinage
OK, so it looks like Churchill appropriated it. At least he had to translate it to proper English! :)

But your citation also says "Goebbels did not coin the phrase, but his use brought it to prominence."
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New iron commies
Joey G appears to be the first to have employed the line with specific reference to the Bolshies.

cordially,
New Funny how sometimes something can set off a world conflagration...
From Rand's linked source:
At a dramatic moment in European history, it ["England" -CRC] declared war against the Reich, unleashing a world conflagration that not only went out of control but threatens to leave England itself in ruins. A tiny extension of Germany into purely German territories to the East was sufficient ground to see a threat to the European balance of power.
...and sometimes not: Replace "Germany" with "Russia" in that last sentence, and that's exactly what's been going on for at least a decade now. But none of our intrepid world leaders dare even whisper that perhaps it's time some day soon to reign that bastard Putler in "with extreme prejudice".
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New We're all cowards now.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New New book" "Churchill and Orwell"
Looks a treat, no?
Both George Orwell and Winston Churchill came close to death in the mid-1930's—Orwell shot in the neck in a trench line in the Spanish Civil War, and Churchill struck by a car in New York City. If they'd died then, history would scarcely remember them. At the time, Churchill was a politician on the outs, his loyalty to his class and party suspect. Orwell was a mildly successful novelist, to put it generously. No one would have predicted that by the end of the 20th century they would be considered two of the most important people in British history for having the vision and courage to campaign tirelessly, in words and in deeds, against the totalitarian threat from both the left and the right. In a crucial moment, they ...
     Churchill: a question for Peter W - (rcareaga) - (10)
         Re: Churchill: a question for Peter W - (pwhysall) - (2)
             As to your last comment, - (Ashton)
             I am largely to your way of thinking - (rcareaga)
         Churchill was the greatest war leader in history! - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
             certain streets have curtain coinage - (rcareaga) - (4)
                 Re: certain streets have curtain coinage - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     iron commies - (rcareaga)
                 Funny how sometimes something can set off a world conflagration... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     We're all cowards now. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             New book" "Churchill and Orwell" - (Ashton)

Ashes to Ashton, dust to debris.
156 ms