IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Churchill: a question for Peter W
I think it's fair to say that the failings of Churchill are acknowledged more than they used to. He wasn't a great peacetime Prime Minister, and I think it's probably just as well that the Conservatives lost the 1945 election; I am still minded to think that the Welfare State and the National Health Service are two of the defining elements of this sceptred isle, and they definitely wouldn't have happened on his watch. The Churchill government of 1951-1955 was a bit of a mess (Suez, Kenya, etc.); Churchill was your man for huge massive problems, but fiddly, detailed stuff (i.e. not being at war)? Nah.

He is still regarded overwhelmingly positively (he's on the back of the new plastic fiver, ffs!). His leadership of the UK, during what was a very literally existential crisis, was a key factor in ensuring that we did not play unwilling hosts to our Teutonic friends. I agree that he was enormously pleased with himself, on the whole, but then he had reason to be; he was an excellent leader, possessed of a fierce intellect and, basically, espoused all that was (at the time) deemed to be good about being British. Stiff upper lip, don't panic, etc.

And, let's face it, the man was an orator of the first water.

I would say to the House as I said to those who have joined this government: I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat. We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering.

You ask, what is our policy? I will say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark and lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: Victory. Victory at all costs—Victory in spite of all terror—Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival.

I think Americans may sometimes forget that, although our losses were not on the scale suffered by, say, France or Poland, we still lost a lot*. Our cities were bombed to rubble - Coventry, in particular, was flattened - and we faced a real, credible threat to our sovereignty and way of life. I don't know how it's perceived over there, but the Battle of Britain - where, against the odds, the Royal Air Force established air superiority over the English Channel and environs, thus denying Operation Sealion any chance of success - resonates deeply in the British national psyche, even more so than the naval war fought in the Atlantic to maintain supply lines, and the desperate, awful operation at Dunkirk which probably saved the Army.

Churchill had many opportunities to fuck things up, and he didn't.

*In both WW1 and WW2. I don't know if you've travelled in Europe and the UK, but pretty much every town and village has a memorial to those who fell in these conflicts; when I was growing up, pretty much everyone had (immediate) family who died in WW2 (and, to a lesser extent, WW1; great-grandmas outnumbered great-granddads to an extent not explained by the natural differential in life expectancy).
New As to your last comment,
this Yank, en-route from Paris to Denmark in spiffy new Citroën Pallas, noted the many discrete/minimalist signs 'to memorials'; finally exited into a couple or three.

They were immaculate, as if the gardener-army had left just as I arrived. Tasteful Graeco-Roman? structures appeared at a focal point and each cross, star--and ALL the foliage--were almost Too-neat. I was alone in both, maybe three visitations that day.

Contemplation was not forced, simply inevitable as consequence of the utter silence and this clear evidence of such widespread personal loss. (And this was just One 'main route' out of Paris.)
Was naturally reminded too, that 'my clan' also had an entry in that Empire of Thanatos, but I know of no comparable phenomenon here. (I have toured only a tiny sample of U.S. roads, so the sample sizes are ~comparable, I wot.)

Long Live the untarnishable Rep of that inspired-Man: (throughout the War years, at the least)
And even his elocution was utterly Fuck->You! Herr Schikelgrüber and-your legions of goose-steppers.

..we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills,
we shall never surrender ...
New I am largely to your way of thinking
I wasn’t really paying attention to world affairs yet during his second ministry, and I know that he was faulted for being an imperialist dead-ender, but at least in the popular imagination here, the wartime leader was regarded as a colossus, and Lukacs in his accounts returns repeatedly to his thesis that he was the essential, irreplaceable man for the crisis at a time when segments of the ruling class were disposed to accept for the nation a kind of genteel vassalage as the price for being left at least temporarily unmolested (he also makes the point that for the first few weeks after being named to the post, Churchill was obliged to walk a political tightrope, and not a really taut one at that).

As to oratory, my own library includes a volume of speeches selected by his grandson*, which of course features all of the Greatest Hits, but also many lesser-known pearls of great price. For example, regarding the opportunistic, ultimately ill-considered** entry of another belligerent into the conflict:
We are also told that the Italian Navy is to come out and gain sea superiority in these waters. If they seriously intend it, I shall only say that we shall be delighted to offer Signor Mussolini a free and safeguarded passage through the Strait of Gibraltar in order that he may play the part to which he aspires. There is a general curiosity in the British Fleet to find out whether the Italians are up to the level they were at in the last war or whether they have fallen off at all.
—We may hope that the Italian leader did not sneeze when these words were reported to him.

I think even those Americans who merely came of age in the aftermath, and even many who were of the age of reason during the main event, tend toward a foreshortened view of the conflict. We were, after all, well back from the actual theatres of war. No one was bombed apart from a distant archipelago, and while the butcher’s bill topped four hundred thousand dead, this was about one-third per capita the British toll, and practically a rounding error*** measured against the carnage in central and eastern Europe (the Soviet Union had some real demographic distortions going there for a while after the war). I’m grateful that North America was spared the wear and tear on the physical plant that large swatches of Eurasia endured, but I think a bit of that might have had a salutary effect on some of our generals during the Cold War: some of them, particularly in the USAF, were champing at the bit to have at the Red Russians, whereas their counterparts, having endured their country laid waste the one time, regarded the prospect of a nuclear encore with a pardonable want of enthusiasm.

Regarding cities bombed to rubble, I think it may fairly be said that Arthur Harris saw to it that Coventry was repaid with compound interest. A lamentable legacy of the conflict is that the aerial bombardment of civilian populations, at one time regarded with a horror approaching that in which the use of poison gas was held, has now come to be taken for granted as a legitimate instrument of warfare.

I’m gratified to learn that WSC still holds a place of esteem in his nation’s memory. I found the condescension with which he was treated in Hamilton’s account off-putting.

cordially,

*Also Winston S. Churchill, son of Randolph, of whom Evelyn Waugh wrote, on the occasion of the former’s undergoing surgery to remove a benign brain tumor, “A typical triumph of modern science to find the only part of Randolph that was not malignant and remove it.”

**It might have been a difficult needle to thread, but had he contrived to keep Italy notionally neutral even though obviously sympathetic to Germany’s cause, he might have had a postwar career resembling Franco’s. Instead, of course, he perished ignobly, and gave rise to coarse jokes in the period of my childhood, such as “How did Mussolini end up with twenty-seven bullets in him? Two thousand Italian marksmen.”

***A rounding error in aggregate and not, to be sure, in specific bereavements.
Expand Edited by rcareaga April 17, 2017, 11:47:37 AM EDT
     Churchill: a question for Peter W - (rcareaga) - (10)
         Re: Churchill: a question for Peter W - (pwhysall) - (2)
             As to your last comment, - (Ashton)
             I am largely to your way of thinking - (rcareaga)
         Churchill was the greatest war leader in history! - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
             certain streets have curtain coinage - (rcareaga) - (4)
                 Re: certain streets have curtain coinage - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     iron commies - (rcareaga)
                 Funny how sometimes something can set off a world conflagration... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                     We're all cowards now. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             New book" "Churchill and Orwell" - (Ashton)

I am the Eggman.
90 ms