IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New How pissed off should I be?
Groupon had a deal for this: http://www.motorsportlab.com/

My wife has a birthday right around the day they're here in Cleveland, so I bought two, one for each of us. The deal did say that there was a waiver I'd have to sign. Made sense.

After buying it, I download the waiver and see that it's a price list of "OPTIONAL LIABILITY WAIVERS" that will exempt me from having to pay for various kinds of damage:

$20 tires and rims
$30 bumpers (highly recommended)
$20 scratch and scuff (highly recommended)
$30 clutch
$20 loss of use
$20 waiver of $1000 administrative costs of repair

And my two favorite:

$20 Tier 1 automatic upgrade
$50 Tier 1 & 2 automatic upgrades

What are the Tier 1 and Tier 2 upgrades? The package I bought only allows me to go up to 6,500 RPM. Go over that and it's an automatic $1,000 upgrade. Go over 8,000 RPM and it's $1,500.

Is that either/or, or cumulative? Can't tell. Either way, that's some bullshit right there. They clearly state "Horsepower: 493hp@7800 rpm" but nowhere does it tell you you're not allowed to actually use it.

And now I see that the instructors are compensated via gratuity only, and for the package I bought they "recommend" $100. For 3 fucking laps. Gratuity is based on the "full amount of the experience", which suggests to me that no one pays the full amount of $549.

So if I buy all the waivers that's $190, and another $100 for the gratuity. That's an extra $290 for something I paid $120 for.

I guess I lied in the subject. I know I'm pissed. The question is, how many of these can they legally hit me with? Can they really charge me another $1000 - $2500 for exceeding an RPM limit in a car without a limiter? Can they hit me for $1000 administrative costs for repairing damage? And if I don't take all these damage waivers, how much would I expect to pay for, say, new tires?
--

Drew
New Sounds like a complicated bait-and-switch.
New That is pretty steep
Especially as those T&Cs seem to apply only to the Groupon vouchers. There are no such limitations mentioned on the web site (unless they only show up after you paid...)

Edit: after reading that thing over, it seems those who order straight from their website are actually worse off as they will not get to see those conditions until they arrive at the event :-/

However, given the locations, these appear to be parking lot events. That will limit how high you'll spin up the moter. (Unless you intend to show off your drifting prowess...) Short, tight courses tend to trigger the preservation reflexes if you've never done something like that before. OTOH, there's a good chance of collecting a few cones on the way, so that scratch & scuff waiver might be worth it.

IANAL and all that, but the terms are available on Groupon's site before ordering, so you're pretty much on the hook.

:-(

I have done track days before and having to pay for any damage is pretty much standard, regardless of who caused the prang.
Expand Edited by scoenye April 13, 2017, 09:56:20 PM EDT
     How pissed off should I be? - (drook) - (2)
         Sounds like a complicated bait-and-switch. -NT - (static)
         That is pretty steep - (scoenye)

It doesn’t get tagged as pathological, even if using it means you ignore actual people.
40 ms