IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Charlie Pierce's essay on the Gorsuch ... ox-Gor-ing. [Yeah.. blong in Politics]
Esquire
SIMPLY PUT, WHAT HAPPENED TO MERRICK GARLAND HAS NOT HAPPENED TO ANY OTHER NOMINEE TO THE SUPREME COURT, EVER.

And, of course, it worked like a charm. It worked like a charm because there was no way for the strategy to fail. If Hillary Rodham Clinton had been elected, the Republican majority in the Senate would have Garlanded any nominee she put up.
(I mean, Garland himself came recommended to President Obama by Orrin Hatch, who then spent the past two years saying what a bad idea his nomination was. This debate really sucked a great amount of pondwater.)
Expand Edited by Ashton April 10, 2017, 05:48:25 PM EDT
New A Republican controlled Senate is the quintessential cesspool, isn't it?
But as Carlin (among many others) has pointed out, *they* are not the problem. The problem is the people who voted for, and continue to vote for them. Having lived in the Mid West these past thirty-odd years, I can attest to the fact that the Senate does reflect the values (such as they are) of the majority. I've recently been reading the last few musings of Trotsky and I agree with Hitchens, that near the end of his life, he'd come to recognize that the October Revolution was based upon a fallacy. The great failure was that the proletariat had not, and could not rise to become a ruling class. They simply cannot be trusted to build a just and fair society. They lack the ability. This is not to say that the Tsars of his day or the plutocratic monied Tsars we've lived with these past 40 years are any better. They are their own brand of evil and I maintain they are still worse. For they, unlike the masses, know better.

This is a nation composed of unimaginably greedy, xenophobic, Luddite bastards and their Senate is composed of people just like them. Or at least composed of people "smart enough" to use them as the useful idiots that are the overwhelming majority.

Maybe its that I lived so long in the Mid West that I'm beginning to give up on humanity. I don't know. From time to time I read the LA Times and am reminded that there is another America. And then I remember Orange County and recall that even the Left Coast has its human cancers.

Into this mess I have assisted in bringing two new humans. I suspect there will come a day when they curse my ashes for doing so.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New “We, the spiteful,” from six years ago
Some joker named Mark Ames made the same point:
If the left wants to understand American voters, it needs to once and for all stop sentimentalizing them as inherently decent, well-meaning people being duped by a tiny cabal of evil oligarchs—because the awful truth is that they're mean, spiteful jerks being duped by a tiny cabal of evil oligarchs.
cordially,
New I think the core of it, here at least, is Christianity,
As Hitchens noted, religion poisons everything. But for Christians, especially Evangelical Christians, I have a special level of contempt. Their imaginary, invisible Jewish friend who died 2,000 years ago wants them not only to have what they have in their pockets, but what's in yours as well. This is just part of their deserved reward for being believers. It disgusts me. My old partner's father was a retired minister and he had some advice for us when we were in business together, "If you're dealing with a Christian, hold on to your wallet with both hands." So, at least one of the "believers" knows the score.

Christianity is a peculiarly greedy religion and has no place in the culture of America in which greed is to be admired and expanded upon at every turn. What makes Middle America "vote against their economic, health and cultural interests" is the idea, prevalent in most of them, that they're different. They deserve more. And one day, it will all be theirs. If not in this life, in the next.

Back in the 1980's I noted that the only common epithet that has no claimed owner is "White Trash." You can talk about White Trash to someone who most would consider to be a member of that group and they think, "Oh, he's not talking about me." We lionize individuality at the whole cost of a sense of community and examples of that are present everywhere. From John Wayne to the CIEFO class who rob the businesses and employees they work for of everything whilst sailing away in their golden parachutes. And the masses say, "One of these days that will be me."

I'm increasingly coming to the conclusion that there is nothing to be done about this.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New ”no claimed owner”
Another might be “bad taste.” Everyone acknowledges its existence, but few will be found to attribute it to themselves, apart from poseurs doing so in a spirit of hipsterish irony.

cordially,
New Although, as that ad-man regularly reminded,
Starkist™ doesn't want (tuna) with good taste (a fish carrying a book, was it?)
..wants tuna that tastes good.

Methinks both examples suggest that language was invented to disguise (contents of mens' minds.)
There must be a reason too, that "coding"/now the source of sustenance and Lamborghinis for many fat-cats: also connotes the nefarious.

[rhetorical] What-if we're ALL simply: incorrigible lying bastards? [/]
     Charlie Pierce's essay on the Gorsuch ... ox-Gor-ing. [Yeah.. blong in Politics] - (Ashton) - (5)
         A Republican controlled Senate is the quintessential cesspool, isn't it? - (mmoffitt) - (4)
             “We, the spiteful,” from six years ago - (rcareaga) - (3)
                 I think the core of it, here at least, is Christianity, - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     ”no claimed owner” - (rcareaga) - (1)
                         Although, as that ad-man regularly reminded, - (Ashton)

Well, all right then.
86 ms