IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Clouds of glory
Apple really has been conspicuously maladroit here, hasn’t it? I’m not remotely competent to evaluate the technical issues involved, but since the hamfistedness goes all the back to Jobs’ watch (I seem to recall reading that he chewed out the old iTools/dotmac team so thoroughly that one or two of them are still severely catatonic, confined to a sealed ward at the Stanford Medical Center and fed through tubes), and since other entities seem to have a handle on the tech, one wonders what it is about Apple that makes them so inept here? If cloud computing is rocket science, surely Cupertino can afford to hire an entire stable of von Braunses. A puzzlement.

cordially,
New I haz a feery
It goes like this: MS made their own cloud to run on their own OS to support their own platforms and they used their own dev tools to do it. They understand the whole thing top to bottom in excruciating detail, and then they run their business on it.

Amazon built AWS to run their business on, and they hired a shitload of really smart people to do it, and they had the ultimate micromanager at the top deciding everything.

Google's stuff runs their business (there's a trend here,) and they too hired a shitload of really smart people and wrote a fuckload of their own software to do it.

Apple run their business on SAP and Oracle and AWS and Azure and Google and they simply don't have the culture or talent (there's only so many sufficiently talented programmers out there, no matter how much money you wave around, and they've still got to be managed right, otherwise they'll just write the best bug tracking system in the world) to build a platform that can do it.

They'll spend a fucking mountain of money on these data centres, and on programmers, and on consultants, and they'll end up with pretty much what they've got now - a cloud system that's mostly used to store photographs.

tl;dr: Apple is a hardware company.

ETA: All this is a throwback to drook's comment about not writing code that's not relevant to the core business. Apple's core business is iPhone, not iCloud.
Expand Edited by pwhysall April 6, 2017, 05:09:31 PM EDT
New If Apple isn't thinking about things after the iPhone, then they're doomed.
And I don't think it's a watch or a self-driving car, either.

The days of the $1000 phone are numbered. I'm sure Samsung and Cook know that, but Samsung is big enough to survive $50 smart phones. Dunno if Apple is... Letting the Mac platform whither isn't a good sign, IMHO.

But we'll see.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Apple encourages internal battles.
Or at least, Steve jobs did. And they were complex battles, with not just poached staff but also other resources. I can't remember the name of the site made by an older Apple employee that described how the Mac came into being.

The Mac was championed at and by Apple over both the Lisa and the IIgs. The latter, in particular, was cheaper, faster and just better than the first Mac in a quite a lot of ways. But it was competition and Steve picked a side...

Wade.
     Mac Pro: End of an error - (rcareaga) - (10)
         It really is hard to figure out what they're thinking. - (Another Scott)
         I'll tell you what they're thinking - (pwhysall) - (8)
             Re: Not eating their own dogfood - (drook) - (7)
                 I can't remember where I saw it - (pwhysall) - (6)
                     iCloud uses Google now as well. - (malraux) - (5)
                         Oh goodie - (pwhysall) - (4)
                             Clouds of glory - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                 I haz a feery - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     If Apple isn't thinking about things after the iPhone, then they're doomed. - (Another Scott)
                                 Apple encourages internal battles. - (static)

ONE THE MACHINE!
55 ms