IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Forgot to run the car
I haven't driven since before shoulder surgery on 1/31. I just went to get something out of my car and the battery is deader than a doornail.

Balls.
--

Drew
New So, what's discharging it?
Parasitic loads like a clock shouldn't be enough.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Probably the bluetooth radio receiver
I've got one of these that I forgot to unplug.
--

Drew
New Does a jump "take"?
New New battery needed, methinks.
Although car batteries do self-discharge, it's not at the rate!

Wade.
New Re: Forgot to run the car
Concur with the above. I left my old BMW 5er for a couple or three months without driving it, and it started on the first turn of the key.
New A few numbers might save a C-note
(The later the model year, the more gadgetry now (burglar alarms from factory or 'listening for a key-clicker' to unlock, etc.) Got a non-toy volt-amps-resistance meter? 'VOM' that is.

Simple test re all the 'smart'-gadgetry added:
just disconnect (either battery cable) and put an ammeter in series. Ohm's Law tells you whether the nominal drain is *normal or unreasonably high; pinning that down is the tedious task of disconnecting things, as can turn into a nasty Bug-hunt.) A sick transistor or a capacitor can account for many of these drains.

* Under 30, 40 mA (milliamps) is upper limit for normal. You can do the arithmetic -vs- battery amp-hour rating; it's just algebra E=IR right? At "a tenth of an amp" say, you can see that it's not many days before No-go.

(Cable back on terminal) Couldn't hurt to note voltage at low up to medium RPM, thus eliminate alternator or its regulator not recharging well.. Lots of batteries are replaced via guessing rather than a few minutes sleuthing.
Over here that can kill most of a C-Note.

Luck
New Took a charge, all good now ... And now I own a charger
--

Drew
New Your local garage should have a doodad that...
...measures the health of your battery.
     Forgot to run the car - (drook) - (8)
         So, what's discharging it? - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Probably the bluetooth radio receiver - (drook)
         Does a jump "take"? -NT - (crazy)
         New battery needed, methinks. - (static)
         Re: Forgot to run the car - (pwhysall)
         A few numbers might save a C-note - (Ashton)
         Took a charge, all good now ... And now I own a charger -NT - (drook) - (1)
             Your local garage should have a doodad that... - (pwhysall)

Ni!
72 ms