IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Dripping faucet.
I awoke last night to the faint sound of a dripping faucet. This is extremely annoying, as the mind sits there waiting for the next drip.

I decided it couldn't be the sink faucet, because that is so distant and indirect. Hearing it depends on a precise set of echoes, so moving my head a few inches would cause it to go away - but it didn't.

Finally I got up, and checked the sink faucet anyway - no drip. I checked the bathroom faucet and shower, which are not known to drip ever, and they weren't. But while I was in the bathroom it seemed the drip was coming from outside. I went back to bed wondering about this. I couldn't think of anything out there that would make that sound, especially since there had been no rain for a few days.

Then I realized the Faucet Bird had returned. Its chirp is a perfect imitation of a dripping faucet, and it chirps with 2 to 3 seconds between chirps. I have no idea what kind of bird it is, and have never seen one because it only chirps at night. Fortunately, it only hangs around for a few weeks, and knowing what it is makes it easy for me to go back to sleep.
New Most curious. You should post a recording of it.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Probably a mockingbird.
Wikipedia: Northern mockingbird.
It imitates not only birds, but also other animals such as cats, dogs, frogs, crickets and sounds from artificial items such as unoiled wheels and even car alarms. As convincing as these imitations may be to humans, they often fail to fool other birds, such as the Florida scrub-jay.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New The Aussie Lyrebird does that, too.
New I don't think so.
This bird has come by for years. I've never heard it make any sound but the faucet drip. We have mocking birds here, but they don't seem to be active in the darkness of night.
New 'A mind is a terrible thing to waste' ...
That cart-before-horse awkward lashup/yet we Knew what the author meant! reminds of the mind/brain's Need-to: resolve! every conundrum which seems: it should be Resolvable!

Another example evoked here: re a composer + house guest? 'familiar' of some ilk:
S/he would come home rather late, softly play a minor chord (on the piano not the tuba, you wretch) and go up to bed.
Said composer simply Had-to resolve that chord into a major er, denouement(?) before sleep was possible.

We're fucking-weird in such ways, ain't we?

..now about that bizarre/un-reachable itch between the shoulder blades, noticed just before nodding off: decide to scratch it?
..or go with the lovely flow.. of that... impending.... petit mort? EH?!
New Try this
Play Jingle Bells on a piano. No harmony, just straight one-note melody. Then don't play the last note.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook March 2, 2017, 08:33:05 AM EST
New Works with any well-known musical phrase.
New Yep.
When I was a kid I played in a little bluegrass band doing gigs in pizza parlors, bars, etc. Once in a while, I'd leave the "bits" note out of the ending "Shave and a haircut, two bits". Invariably that drew groans from the audience with more than a few, "Come On!"'s
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New :-D I was thinking of that exact phrase!
New K-pop star Hyuna used it to really good effect a few years ago
She released a song called "Red" that in the chorus used the first part of a well-known Korean nursery rhyme.

The full line is "a monkey’s butt is red, apple is red, apple tastes good, banana tastes good, banana is long, trains are long, trains are fast, airplanes are fast, airplanes are high, baek-du-san is high".

Hyuna's version (with the same tune, I'm told!) is "A monkey’s butt is red,
Red is Hyuna, Hyuna is..." and left it there. :-)

The music video has a 19+ rating in Korea.

Wade.
New Lots of choices.
One possibility is the "American Bittern" - https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Bittern/id

(via https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/listen-to-the-5-dumbest-sounding-birds-of-north-america found by doing a search for "bird sound water dripping" or similar).

Brown-headed Cowbirds are another popular answer, but those seem pretty involved (unless the high-pitched stuff is being attenuated).

HTH a little!

Cheers,
Scott.
(Mocking birds around here make all kinds of racket when they're chatting - not just a single sound like that.)
     Dripping faucet. - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
         Most curious. You should post a recording of it. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Probably a mockingbird. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             The Aussie Lyrebird does that, too. - (static)
             I don't think so. - (Andrew Grygus)
         'A mind is a terrible thing to waste' ... - (Ashton) - (5)
             Try this - (drook) - (4)
                 Works with any well-known musical phrase. -NT - (static) - (3)
                     Yep. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         :-D I was thinking of that exact phrase! -NT - (static)
                         K-pop star Hyuna used it to really good effect a few years ago - (static)
         Lots of choices. - (Another Scott)

Dude.
59 ms