IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Speaking of Evil ... and a pair of portraits
(er, 2x of Mr. Wilde's Picture of Dorian Gray?)

..imagine what the versions in that attic, subtitled Dissipation .. must look like by now?

Courtesy: Daily Kos.

P.S. Wags at Kos titled this, President Bannon and Puppet
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 25, 2017, 06:41:16 AM EST
New Bannon looks like he's not long for this world.
His face reminds me very much of Jeremy Brett toward the end (and this is a "good" picture of him):

(From here.)

There's also this:

Brett’s meticulous performances earned him rave reviews. “Brett’s true brilliance is overlooked not because no one says he is splendid but because everyone does”, wrote Kevin Jackson. Dame Jean Conan Doyle, daughter of Sir Arthur, sent him a letter which said : “You are the Sherlock Holmes of my childhood”. Few knew the stresses that the actor was under however. The death of his second wife Joan from cancer in 1985, pushed Brett into depression. Playing Holmes added to his anguish. “Holmes is the hardest part I have ever played — harder than Hamlet or Macbeth. Holmes has become the dark side of the moon for me. He is moody and solitary and underneath I am really sociable and gregarious. It has all got too dangerous”, he admitted.

After suffering a nervous breakdown, Brett spent eight weeks at the Maudsley Psychiatric Hospital in London. He was diagnosed as a manic-depressive.

Brett’s mental torment took a toll on him physically. The lithium which he was prescribed for his depression made him appear bloated. During the filming of the last Holmes series in 1993, Brett, whose heart had been damaged by childhood illness, arrived on set in a wheelchair and needed an oxygen mask. When the programmes were televised, fans were shocked at his physical deterioration. Those who worked on the set with Brett, and who loved him for his generosity and kindness, were greatly saddened at his decline.

Brett died at 61 from heart failure (his heart valves were scarred by rheumatic fever when he was a child).

Bannon is 63...

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who isn't comparing the content of their characters - just their physical appearances.)
New He’s been here way too long already
New Thanks! for the two perspicuous links re the utter-Perfection of Jeremy Brett's performances, all.
As one respondent observed,
I am re-watching the Brett series currently and it is such a remarkable performance. It is difficult to avoid the statement (that I made to my wife last night) that it is the greatest performance ever, of anyone. His movement alone could be the subject of a lengthy study.
Simply, I believe it Unpossible! to overly-adore J. Brett, who just may become as immortal as The Greatest Detective/his ineffable-Self (!)
(And the Mastery of the author/creator's efforts is surely inextricably entwined--now--with this one actor's depiction so moving ... as to have evoked all the encomiums perused since Jeremy Brett's sad demise.)

As to the Bannon loose-cannon-Beast and other recent, pernicious, potentially even fatal developments: I pine for the 'wish' of a friend (when asked ~~ OK so now You're Mistress of the Universe; w.t.f. would YOU do First??)
Ans: Instant karma!!

(not that any One of us would escape such a dire alteration, unscathed. Natch)
... ... but What Fun to Watch (for as long as you survive the cut) eh?
New He was indeed the Sherlock that schooled them all. A great talent - I didn't know about his demons.
It's startling to see his last performances in the role though...

Co-sign for your friend's wish, also. ;-)

Better recognize your brothers
Ev'ryone you meet
Why in the world are we here
Surely not to live in pain and fear

Cheers,
Scott.
New basil rathbone is the true sherlock
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New He is the standard for me as well.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Brett was better, I think. :-)
New Connery! Oops, sorry.
--

Drew
New LOLs.
New Speaking of Jeremy Brett as Sherlock...
New via such a nice lateral arabesque, too
to Gin and Tacos thence a Maus ref. ... a fitting missive to having seen {{shudder}} tonight's Drumpf Report fantasy-thing, and includes this little excerpt:
..It begins with normalizing social deviance toward an Other that is responsible for every aspect of your life that leaves you dissatisfied. It begins when a population is conditioned to read a news story about one of Them being gunned down by someone in a uniform and to react not with human empathy but with satisfaction. It begins when people become convinced that there are Good People like themselves and Bad People like everyone who looks, thinks, or acts differently than themselves. It begins when the oppression of a minority to satisfy the histrionics of a majority (rule of law be damned because I want to feel safe at any cost) is not only tolerated by the political process but becomes one of the products it is most eager to deliver.

Every crime against humanity has humble beginnings. And the kind of people who want to perpetrate them know that they don't grow like weeds. They have to be nurtured, **slowly, until the process is so far along that no group, individual, or institution in society can stop it.
Then just Now on PBS: a clip of G. W. Bush mentioning the necessity of an Independent Media etc. etc.
I mean.. I Mean: HE GETS IT too!

** aka, You Have to be Carefully Taught! in C# Minor, (making it a slow dirge, as is so congruent to ... Most-ALL of 2016 as-led-to: umm, 2017?)

Damn..! it sure is weird Out There, what with that whirring noise as accompaniment: {{sigh}} Stuart Chase, again--from inside that tiny coffin.

Ed: PS, on Democracy Now: a review: "this is not the first time Mexicans have been demonized in Murica" with a ref to Mexican repatriation in 1930s, via book by Francisco Balderrama:, Decade of Betrayal
wherein both Mexican Nationals and Americans of Mex. descent were summarily deported:
an antecedent of the FDR imprisonment of Japanese etc. etc. Etc. It's a fucking Murican-habit, y'see?

(Not just a few Americans flirted with Some-other-ISM-than CAPITALism during that lengthy Hoover-abetted-by-inaction playout of that earlier depression.)
I had an Aunt/school teacher who was 'lookin-fer-loopholes' too, so: that's First-degreee hearsay..

BUT our complaisant SCHOOL SYSTEM (as audited by moi) was too chicken-shit to TELL US young'uns just how frequently/and deeply
..has been Murican hypocrisy, all. along. And still is, mostly. cf. that {corrected} nursery rhyme which begins

The world is so full of a number of things
that it's very surprising when somebody sings.
Expand Edited by Ashton March 1, 2017, 04:00:15 AM EST
     When Drum's right, he's right. - (mmoffitt) - (18)
         Better than the butch though, amirite? -NT - (drook) - (1)
             In the end, who knows? 2018 will give us some indication. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Oh, and by the way ... - (drook) - (3)
             Cynical? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Sometimes I don't like being right - (drook)
                 That is one evil - (mmoffitt)
         Speaking of Evil ... and a pair of portraits - (Ashton) - (11)
             Bannon looks like he's not long for this world. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                 He’s been here way too long already -NT - (rcareaga)
                 Thanks! for the two perspicuous links re the utter-Perfection of Jeremy Brett's performances, all. - (Ashton) - (8)
                     He was indeed the Sherlock that schooled them all. A great talent - I didn't know about his demons. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                         basil rathbone is the true sherlock -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                             He is the standard for me as well. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                 Brett was better, I think. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                     Connery! Oops, sorry. -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                         LOLs. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Speaking of Jeremy Brett as Sherlock... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         via such a nice lateral arabesque, too - (Ashton)

My neurons began.. shrieking, best I can remember.
361 ms