IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Universal galaxy acceleration curve described by visible matter.
https://phys.org/news/2017-02-team-radial-common-galaxies.html

The researchers found that in 153 spiral and irregular galaxies, 25 ellipticals and lenticulars, and 62 dwarf spheroidals, the observed acceleration tightly correlates with the gravitational acceleration expected from visible mass.

Observed deviations from this correlation are not related to any specific galaxy property but completely random and consistent with measurement errors, the team found.

The tightness of this relation is difficult to understand in terms of dark matter as it's currently understood, the researchers said.

It also challenges the current understanding of galaxy formation and evolution, in which many random processes such as galaxy mergers and interactions, inflows and outflows of gas, star formation and supernovas, occur at the same time.

"Regularity must somehow emerge from this chaos," Lelli said.

[...]

Nevertheless, the growing proof of the relation, or natural law, requires new thinking about dark matter and gravity, the researchers said.

"Within the standard dark-matter paradigm, this law implies that the visible matter and the dark matter must be tightly coupled in galaxies at a local level and independently on global properties. They must know about each other," Lelli said.

"Within alternative models like modified gravity, this law represents a key empirical constraint and may guide theoretical physicists to build some appropriate mathematical extension of Einstein's General Relativity."

The team's research so far has focused on galaxies in the nearby universe. Lelli and his colleagues plan to test the relation in more distant galaxies, just a few billion years after the big bang. They are hoping to learn whether the same relation holds during the lifetime of the Universe.

[...]

Neat.

But I think that much of the argument for the presence of dark matter (and dark energy) is related to the behavior of "galaxy clusters" and even larger features. Dunno if these findings have any impact on those things.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who wonders if dark matter and dark energy end up being dead ends, and the observed deviations from expected behavior are instead due to a combination of unknown physics and error bars.)
New Re: "They must know about each other," Lelli said.
I get a chuckle in that talking about visible matter and the dark matter is couched in anthropomorphism. :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Well.. action-at-a-distance (spin, parity etc.)
always seems to befuddle mere homo-sap neurons thus, also too: developing of any useful [compelling] models/metaphors ...
upon which to hang the All-and-Everything enchilada.

..or something like that? {{sigh}}

Ed: redundancy police
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 18, 2017, 07:52:26 PM EST
Expand Edited by Ashton Feb. 18, 2017, 07:52:59 PM EST
New I am beginning to lean ever more towards the theory that Ross was / is correct:
"There ain't no such thing as 'Dark Matter'; that's just a stupid postulate-some-shit-to-make-the-numbers-add-up kludge in the first place" was his thesis, right? (Possibly ever so slightly simplified.)
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
     Universal galaxy acceleration curve described by visible matter. - (Another Scott) - (3)
         Re: "They must know about each other," Lelli said. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Well.. action-at-a-distance (spin, parity etc.) - (Ashton)
         I am beginning to lean ever more towards the theory that Ross was / is correct: - (CRConrad)

For those of you not versed in fine dining lingo, that is: Potato Bacon Cheez, fried noodle pockets, fried cheese, grease bread, cream cheese dip, chicken fingers, and fried fry.
79 ms