IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I used to deal with that stuff, thankfully no more.
I remember once we had to solder a special pin-flipped version of an RS232 connector to talk to some weird LAN switches that needed to have spanning tree turned off. We carted an ancient terminal around to the various wiring closets to do the deed.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New My favourite RS-232 stories.
I had to make a cable to a HP Paintjet that some nong had purchased with a serial port instead of a parallel port. It needed all the signals because it couldn't buffer much data and had to tell the PC when to stop sending. After months of attempts with a simple cable, and quantities of wasted paper, I found the manual and followed the instructions. Worked perfectly after that.

And then there were the cases where you two serial terminal devices needed to see each others' control signals. The idiot comms guys kept giving me cables where the control lines were just reflected back at each end. This did not make for reliable communication! Again, I made a proper null modem cable over the objections of the comms guys and things were a lot more reliable after that!

Wade.
New And then there was the guy . . .
. . who claimed the RS in RS232 stood for Radio Shack.
New You knew him too??
Guy actually worked for Radio Shack (sort of). Summer of 1986, I think, company I worked for did some protocol converter work for Tandy. I had to go to Texas to show what we had and see if it needed any tweaks. I was talking to one of their big shots and made an off handed comment like "20 years and it's still a recommended standard?" and he came back with "Oh no! That RS stands for Radio Shack!" He was serious as a heart attack.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
     Computer History Nostalgia. - (static) - (18)
         I still deal with a lot of that stuff. - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
             Damn! - (Andrew Grygus) - (10)
                 :-) LRPD: "Fun is fun to have." -NT - (malraux)
                 Just Lovely - (Andrew Grygus) - (8)
                     you have a copy of littlebiglan around? - (boxley) - (7)
                         I suspect it isn't that complicated. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                             If your port list is out of date, they must have moved something - (drook) - (5)
                                 Even if I knew how to make the software send . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                     Symlink them -NT - (crazy) - (3)
                                         My relationship with the software companies I work with . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                             Sigh - (crazy)
                                             An admirable position. - (static)
         I used to deal with that stuff, thankfully no more. - (malraux) - (3)
             My favourite RS-232 stories. - (static) - (2)
                 And then there was the guy . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                     You knew him too?? - (hnick)
         God, that makes me feel old! :) - (a6l6e6x)
         Octal and early processors. - (static)

It's like an ee cummings poem written using only the usernames a website suggests when the one you want is taken.
49 ms