IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Rotator cuff surgery sucks
This is the first time I've ever been under general anesthetic. My mother, who had 17 surgeries for polio as a child, told me that she always had a problem with with anesthetic. It looks like I got the same issue: severe nausea when coming out.

They did it as outpatient surgery, so I was home by the time the nerve block wore off. That was not pleasant. Now I'm on oxycodone every four hours. I don't know why anyone takes this recreationally. It helps with the pain, but I don't feel anything else. That's probably good from a medical outcome standpoint, but I was really hoping to enjoy this.

I won't be able to drive for at least three weeks, so I'll be working from home. Then it will be at least another three months of rehab before I'm somewhat normal. And of course it's my right arm, so I'm learning how hard it is to do everything with your off hand.

The silver lining is that I brought my monitor home from work so I've got my dual-head setup here at home now. If I can make this work, I'll leverage it into working a couple days home every week.

PS: Apple voice dictation is incredibly accurate.
--

Drew
New Man, that sucks.
And it's your wanking hand, too.

Get well soon.
New The important things, I practiced
--

Drew
New Well, nice that you can compute while recovering, unless
you use a Nineteenth-century/shoulder destroying mouse, that is.. ;^>

This Ad brought to you by Trackballs r-Us LLC. PDQ, FRS
because ... well, no time like the Present to rilly give the suckers a Try, innit?
New Kensington expert mouse
Can't use a computer without it. Or won't. I carry mine around at work.
New Apple's Magic Mouse is good
For now, though, I'm mostly using the trackpad on the laptop with my left hand.
--

Drew
New Ehh, not for me
And track pads are too fidgity for tight work.
New Definitely not for fiddly work
I won't be doing anything fiddly for a while. I totally sold on dictation, though, and trying to learn at least one new command each day.
--

Drew
New Ugh, best wishes for a speedy recovery
I'm just coming off 4 months of PT for a frozen shoulder so I can sympathize. Make sure you do the exercises exactly as prescribed. They do work. My therapist told me that most people just phone it in and exercise only in the office, and they almost without exception don't get it all back. I've been obsessive about mine and I'm 3 months ahead of schedule with nearly a complete range of motion back.

Good luck!
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New ouch, like scott sez, stay religeous with the therapy
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New I would have thought general anesthetics would have evolved.
My first was in Germany by German doctors around 1947-8 and it was gauze over the nose with ether poured on it. You go out in seconds. I was in a UN refuge camp at the time.

But, get well soon! And limit those pills to the minimum that makes things tolerable.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New I'm already starting to stretch the time between pills
--

Drew
New Ouch! Speedy recovery and do what you're told above! Good luck!
     Rotator cuff surgery sucks - (drook) - (12)
         Man, that sucks. - (pwhysall) - (6)
             The important things, I practiced -NT - (drook) - (5)
                 Well, nice that you can compute while recovering, unless - (Ashton) - (4)
                     Kensington expert mouse - (crazy) - (3)
                         Apple's Magic Mouse is good - (drook) - (2)
                             Ehh, not for me - (crazy) - (1)
                                 Definitely not for fiddly work - (drook)
         Ugh, best wishes for a speedy recovery - (malraux)
         ouch, like scott sez, stay religeous with the therapy -NT - (boxley)
         I would have thought general anesthetics would have evolved. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             I'm already starting to stretch the time between pills -NT - (drook)
         Ouch! Speedy recovery and do what you're told above! Good luck! -NT - (Another Scott)

One of them has appalling taste in home decor, but if this is symptomatic of brain damage I submit that long-term exposure to the cultural vacuum of the San Fernando Valley is at least as plausible a proximate cause.
106 ms