IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The splintering of society
We think the internet allows us to find like-minded people. Maybe not so much.
With a close friend, or at a traditional church, you can talk about your bad leg, your struggles or success at work, how your love life or lack thereof is going, and your newest hobby. There is no compartmentalization. That’s a community.

By contrast, industrialized or post-industrialized economies are systematic. You can talk about your strength training at your gym, your bad leg at your physical therapist’s, your emotional life at your psychologist’s, and your career with your mentor – assuming you are lucky enough to have some or all of these. Your self becomes splintered among these locations and communities.

One common solution is to choose one of these categories in which to invest your identity. Ardent Crossfitters often like to date other Crossfitters and even have their own dubious sartorial aesthetic. Mustachians (devotees of the frugality blogger Mr. Money Mustache) spend much of their time thinking about luxuriously frugal financial strategies. By emphasizing one lifestyle category over others, you can find a lot of fulfillment among like-minded people.

So yeah, we can finally find someone to talk about 14th-Century French architecture with, but that's going to be the only thing we can talk about.

http://www.ribbonfarm.com/2017/01/10/rolling-your-own-culture-and-not-finding-community/
--

Drew
New Well, if you want to talk to me . . .
. . 14th century French architecture just is not where you want to go.
New 14th century french cooking would be interesting
how much vinegar do you need to add to near rotting meat for example
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Vinegar wasn't much known in those days.
The process of making vinegar was still unreliable. They did user verjus though (juice of unripe grapes) which is very good in recipes, I make some every year during the season when my markets have mounds of them.

What people have presumed about Medieval food, for instance the heavy use of spices was to hide the taste of spoiled meat, is entirely false. Those who could afford spices and such were not eating spoiled meat. We have many documents with instructions to staff on how to select fresh meat in the early morning markets.

There wasn't much spoiled meat for the lower classes, because animals were slaughtered as needed, just before sale, and calibrated to be all sold during the day. The 14th century was a VERY structured time, and we have plenty of documentation.

Those who were not wealthy just couldn't afford meat, unless they raised pigs (which most people couldn't afford). Pigs were slaughtered in the Autumn because it was impossible to feed them through the winter. The meat was not spoiled. It was preserved by salting, drying and smoking. Also as confit, which is salted meat cooked very slowly submerged in fat, then sealed in a jar under the fat. It would last for months, or even a year or so. Sugar was not used for preserves because it was extremely expensive until the late 1700s.

Spices were used heavily, but they were used heavily because it was a show of wealth - they were extremely expensive.

When European ship technology became so advanced that worldwide voyages and huge capacity for spices and other luxury goods became available, the Arab and Venetian monopolies were broken and the price of spices plunged. With plunging prices came plunging use, because they were no longer a show of wealth. European cuisines quickly became as spice free as they were in the early 20th century.
New thanks, very informative
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Amen to that!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Not buying it.
As far back as sainted old rasfwrj -- a Usenet newsgroup of ostensibly very narrow focus I used to frequent twenty years ago; use your Google-fu if you want to know more -- I've seen community in the "no compartmentalization" sense arise spontaneously on tha Intertubes.

Hey, there was even this gang I know of, as contrarian a group of grouchy bastards as you've ever seen whine about the faked-up "Readers' Choice" awards on any IT periodical's on-line forum...
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Heh, and within the IGM
I can even mention--many moons ago--that the Part No. for the 'pawl carrier centraliseer spring' in a Vincent gearbox is: "G-64-stroke-1"
(and Why, once, the consequence of that tiny spring could have Mattered to the tune of $$$, etc.) without my ackshully being ridden outta town on a rail. :-)

Now as to the consequences of Acura-Big-Corporation [Honda], in its no longer supplying even the Door Latch! of the very==most-used==Driver-door! in this full-Yuppie-grade vehicle:
stay tuned for further illumination of the vicissitudes of modrin Corporate forced-obsolescence, and like that.
     The splintering of society - (drook) - (7)
         Well, if you want to talk to me . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
             14th century french cooking would be interesting - (boxley) - (3)
                 Vinegar wasn't much known in those days. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     thanks, very informative -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         Amen to that! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Not buying it. - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Heh, and within the IGM - (Ashton)

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for never shall they be disappointed.
69 ms