IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Pisser of a year, that
Earlier in the evening we heard the peal of a burglar alarm going off nearby and, per established practice, ventured outside to investigate. It was the home of one of our neighbors, Art Weller, a fellow of my age. As I ventured up the front steps I could see two or three people, also mid-sixtyish, standing about. Turns out they're Art's relatives, there to start going through his papers, as Art pegged out unexpectedly of an aortal aneurysm on the last day of 2016. He was a good guy, and a leftist who very much lived his principles. He was a regular at our "Italian film nights," and probably made four dozen of them over the years.

The alarm is still going off—ten minutes of clamor alternating with ten minutes of silence—and the service provider professes itself helpless to correct it. "Alarm code goes into 'in the event of my death' instructions" gets added to my estate planning to-do list.

It's not a case for "sorry for your loss," because we were never tight buds, but I admired the guy, he was an interesting conversationalist, and we used to do one another neighborly favors (watering plants, retrieving mail) to cover our out-of-towns. When he was mugged the other year, the robber taking off with a pack containing his wallet and his keys, Lina dug into her bag of specialized tools and found one that allowed us to take the security bars off his bedroom window to get in, and we advanced him the scratch for an emergency locksmith. We particularly appreciated the fact that, having given up car ownership, he used to let us park in front of his driveway.

Also, as I say, he and I are contemporaries, and I hate to see these being taken down.

cordially,
New :-( Condolences. Remember the good times.
New A palpable loss too, for those working out trench logistics
and other preps for the descent of the Trump Youth (however dubbed by Citizen Robespierre.)

A long-time local friend has an incipient one of those ... in an inoperable location; she has, however: exceeded everyone's expectations of her longevity, including her own. Another trench-mate..
New Condolences, indeed!
It sucks to lose friendly folks one can have a good chat with.

My wife lost a friend of 30+ years last month who was 83. My wife and I would have lunches with her and her husband several times a year. Tomorrow, my wife and I will be taking her husband and their daughter out to lunch. He's 90 and unfortunately not totally of a sound mind anymore.

Getting old is nor for sissies! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New :-( That's rough. Enjoy the good times.
A colleague at work retired today after almost 37 years.

"Where were you in February 1980?"

Lots of good stories from old friends, many of which were slowing down a lot.

Life is too short.

Take care, and enjoy!

Cheers,
Scott.
     Pisser of a year, that - (rcareaga) - (4)
         :-( Condolences. Remember the good times. -NT - (Another Scott)
         A palpable loss too, for those working out trench logistics - (Ashton)
         Condolences, indeed! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             :-( That's rough. Enjoy the good times. - (Another Scott)

Obeying the Law of Unintended Consequences since 2001.
97 ms