IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Similarly:
I've been listening to a BBC podcast called "A History Of The World In 100 Objects". I'm finding it fascinating. Each object, ranging from a flint hand axe to a portable solar charger, has its own 15 minute episode. The fascinating part, however, comes as they link the history of the object to other things happening at the same time via trade routes, cultures, and natural occurrences.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ahistoryoftheworld/
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I might look that up.
I found a TV series a little while back called "How We Got To Now" which followed the stories of a couple of basic ideas (making things cold, artificial light, etc) and accompanying inventions changed society and the world as we know it. Mentioned a _lot_ of people I'd never heard of!

Wade.
Expand Edited by static Dec. 7, 2016, 09:29:48 PM EST
New In the same vein
The journalist James Burke did a television series called "Connections" back in 1978, tracing some element of modern* life back through the several technological confluences that led to its development. It's rather dear—US $100 for the five-disc set—but a well-stocked local library might have it available.

cordially,

*The modernity depicted, that of the mid-seventies, will not strike the first-time viewer in the closing weeks of Weimar America as particularly au courant, and neither will the distracting leisure suits in which our genial writer/narrator drapes himself for his on-camera appearances.
New Yes, that's a good one
This series is Burkesque as well.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Similarly, ...
The Day the Universe Changed from the 1980s.

Fascinating shows.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Want a quick history of modern India? - (drook) - (7)
         I never understood why history in school was a boring subject. - (static)
         Similarly: - (malraux) - (4)
             I might look that up. - (static) - (3)
                 In the same vein - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     Yes, that's a good one - (malraux)
                     Similarly, ... - (Another Scott)
         Re: Want a quick history of modern India? - (rcareaga)

I was trying to read your bio when it got chucked clear off the screen by a Jimmy Dean sausage pancake.
43 ms