IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Our furnace humidifier is acting up again.
It's about 10 years old. It's an AprilAire 760. About 3 years ago I replaced the fan motor and a few plastic bits, now there's a small relay on the circuit board that is chattering and the fan won't run (it turns freely).

So, I guess it's time to replace the whole thing rather than spending another $100 on parts. I'm debating between the automatic 700 and the manual 700M (the 760 isn't made any more). The 700M is probably the simpler replacement, and I don't see the need for anything fancier (our furnace blower is variable speed and is always on at low speed (to try to keep the air cleaner and the temperature more uniform), so having the humidifier be able to control the furnace blower doesn't seem necessary).

I hate plumbing. I don't really want to work on this thing again, but I don't want to have half a dozen portable humidifiers scattered all over the house again, either.

No rest for the wicked. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New the part of the country you are in do you need a humidifier?
In GA we needed a de-humidifier. What you are doing is essentially wetting down your air filters on occasion, so find the cheapest, easiest solution to do so. Back in Alaksa we used to just neatly folded put the recently washed towels over the baseboard heaters. Seemed to cut down on dryer costs but that will not work for a forced air system.
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New We need both in NoVA.
Forced air - it gets very dry around here in the winter (especially during the recent almost-drought). Our house is tighter than when we got it (new windows) and the furnace is much more efficient and uses outside air for combustion, but it still gets dry enough inside the house for static to build up (and our sinuses and throats to dry out). Just another one of the hazards of modern life...

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Same here.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Cooking usually does it for us
After a chicken dinner when I throw the carcass in a pot to make stock we end up with sweat on all the windows downstairs, so our humidity seems to be just fine. It also means we have crappy old single-pane windows, but that's a whole different problem.
--

Drew
New Nah, get a thermometer with a humidity gauge to tell.
If the humidity is below 50% you could be more comfortable.

Cold window panes will have condensation even if it's relatively dry in the house and making your house drier to boot.

In our old house w/2500 sq ft, in a day, I had no trouble putting 3-4 gallons of water into the air. It had single pane windows with storm windows for another layer of glass. There are lots of factors of course. Air leaks. opening of doors, etc. brings in air from the outside. Check some relative humidity tables. 80% relative humidity at 30 degrees outside brought inside and heated to 72 degree air has a relative humidity of 17%. Dry!

Link.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     Our furnace humidifier is acting up again. - (Another Scott) - (5)
         the part of the country you are in do you need a humidifier? - (boxley) - (4)
             We need both in NoVA. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Same here. -NT - (malraux)
             Cooking usually does it for us - (drook) - (1)
                 Nah, get a thermometer with a humidity gauge to tell. - (a6l6e6x)

ICLRPD.
42 ms