IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Initial thoughts.
I got the phone from B&H (with the 2 year drop warranty), and an Obliq Flex Pro black rubber case, a Tech Armor glass protection screen, a $40 128 GB Samsung Evo Select SD card (80 MB/s read, 20 MB/s write) from Amazon. The memory isn't the latest and fastest, but I can't see the need to spend $1/GB for the latest until I know I need it.

I backed up thing with Google and transferred them with it, with LG Backup, and via copying things to the PC (Pimlical has to be transferred manually). It generally went fine (all my texts were transferred, apps too), but the "copy to PC then copy to new phone" thing occasionally burped with some generic error. Avatars for my SMS contacts weren't transferred, nor were my wallpapers - I've got to figure out how to get those over.

If I had NFC on the Nexus 4, apparently the transfer would have been more straightforward. An argument for not waiting too long to upgrade to a different phone.

Cutting the micro SIM down to a nano SIM was easy. I just had to take my time and use the metal standard to micro adapter in the cutter. I used a YouTube video for confirmation on how to insert the cards.

The back comes off easily (lots of little snappers) and snaps into place securely.

The phone is quite a change from my Nexus 4. About the same width, substantially longer, substantially thinner. It has no buttons on the side ("How do I turn this thing on??") There are up/down buttons outside the rear center button for adjusting volume, etc., as appropriate.

I haven't set up the fingerprint sensor yet - some say one should do it after a case is on. It apparently works with hand contact to the metal bars on the sides, but we'll have to see about that.

It boots to a T-Mobile screen and tones. The white isn't perfectly uniform on the screen, but it's not annoyingly nonuniform.

It came with Android 5.1.1 but after installing the SIM I see that T-Mobile has 6.x available for it (it apparently decides on its own when to install it).

I get much better reception with it than with my Nexus 4. Unsurprisingly. :-)

It fits easily in my shirt pocket, even with the case. It sticks out a little over an inch from the top of the pocket (on this shirt, anyway).

I used it with Google Maps on the way in this AM. I couldn't figure out how to turn off the voice directions (didn't know about the up/down buttons on the back yet).

A free sound pressure meter works properly with it. On the Nexus 4 it pegs at 80 dB. Here it works for levels much higher than that, as it should.

So far, I'm very happy. I haven't done much with it yet, but it seems like a great bargain at $320 (+ whatever accessories, warranty, etc., you want).

Cheers,
Scott.
New heh, just got a new t-mobile android phone
alcatel PIXI4 4G LTE makes phone calls texts and does intarwebb $19.95 all in NIB :-)
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New :-) Rub it in. ;-)
I don't get phones very often and want it to last a while. I'm happy.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Any privacy concerns with Assistant on your part?
Snowden certainly is no fan.
bcnu,
Mikem

I think religion should be treated with ridicule, hatred and contempt. And I claim that right.
Christopher Hitchens.
New Not yet.
I haven't used any of the "Ok, Google" stuff in the past - I assume the Assistant is just a fancied-up version of that.

I'm almost always around a bunch of noise, so I don't really see the benefit of trying to yell at my phone or some gadget in the house, yet. My past interactions with voice recognition have almost always been less than satisfactory.

E.g. being at an airport, calling an airline and getting some voice system while some announcement comes on and confuses the system. :-/

I recall someone doing a thought experiment of being on TV for New Year's (or something) and yelling out "Hey Siri, What's the best way to ...!" and trying to crash Apple's servers that way.

I don't worry about the privacy stuff. There are enough important things to worry about as it is...

YMMV.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Voice recognition is vastly better in my new phone
Don't know if it's the hardware or the software. I suspect recognition is happening locally now, based on the speed.
--

Drew
New Agreed (vastly better) for my G6
Not sure about the local statement. My vr has problems as I drive away from my house, and wifi data disappears. 3 seconds later it works again when my non wifi data connection firms up.

I actually test to see how quietly spoken, quickly (running words together), and in heavy wind noise it will work. And am amazed how well it deals with it. The visual shows a series of mistakes and then it corrects itself, showing it understands not just the sounds I make but the context in which they make sense.
New Did some looking
Found this note on StackOverflow.
"From what I can establish, Google tests the availability of a connection prior to deciding whether to use offline or online recognition. If a connection is available initially but is lost prior to the response, Google will supply a connection error, it won’t fall-back to offline."

That seems to describe your testing.

And I just tested, VR works in airplane mode.
--

Drew
New Thanks
While it works offline, I bet it doesn't work as well. For the vast majority of use (set alarm, launch known program, etc), local should be ok. But when doing complex dictation, I ASSUME online (with deep context analysis) would have an edge.
New Yeah, online is actually faster
--

Drew
New Privacy is the least of your worries on Android
The massive shambling shitshow that is the security and updates situation, that's your big worry.

/flees
New Re: Privacy is the least of your worries on Android
Good point, although that's iPad-specific.

The issue is really the update situation, and it's two-fold*:

1. Even Nexus devices don't get OS updates for long enough - basically every Android device on the planet drops off the support roadmap after about two years
2. Carriers are chiselling grasping bastards
3. Vendors are chiselling grasping bastards
4. Google can't or won't use the Google Play Services agreement to circumvent 2 and 3 (e.g. by enforcing a rational Android OS update programme)

There's lots wrong with Apple, of course, but 2 and 3, whilst still true, don't prevent updates from getting to my phone.

There's a hypothetical 5, too - the ability to tick the box that says "use unknown app sources" or whatever it's called. I'm pretty sure most people who do that in order to get App X on their phone aren't fully cognisant of the implications, and there's piss-all Google can do (short of having real-time dynamic app security analytics including static analysis - basically the security audit that's done as part of accepting apps into the Play Store - built into Android itself) to protect people.

*I lied
     Pixel XL. Ouch. - (Another Scott) - (61)
         I want my e911 chip free flip phone back. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             EVLeaks on Twitter mumbled something about flip phones coming back next year. - (Another Scott)
         Nice colors - (drook) - (2)
             Heh - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Looks like these, too - (drook)
         So, it's not a loss leader. :) - (a6l6e6x)
         Re: Pixel XL. Ouch. - (pwhysall) - (12)
             They're offering a new ecosystem with very fast hardware. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                 Eh? No they're not - (pwhysall) - (10)
                     Disagree. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         How to get assistant everywhere in 2 steps - (pwhysall) - (2)
                             Re: giving up in a couple of years - (drook) - (1)
                                 iPhone? 4 years for many - (pwhysall)
                     Google Fi FTW - (drook) - (3)
                         It does sound appealing. I use very little data most months. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             Yeah, you pay for all your data - (drook) - (1)
                                 The unthrottled foreign data sounds great... - (Another Scott)
                     Mossberg thinks it's a big deal. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         He's an outlier on this one - (pwhysall)
         If you want a Pixel, avoid Verizon - (pwhysall) - (19)
             Verizon's always been evil. - (Another Scott) - (18)
                 Worse than the ringtone - (drook) - (1)
                     Oooh. I'd forgotten about that. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 I couldn't care less about the bootloader - (pwhysall) - (15)
                     Yeahbut... - (Another Scott) - (14)
                         Yeahbut what? - (pwhysall) - (13)
                             "Don't be evil" - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                 You just did "ooh look a monkey" - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                     All I'm saying is one is no better or worse than the other. The reasons may vary, but both are evil. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                         So what? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                             Exactly. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                 And I just told you why not. - (pwhysall)
                             Eh? I don't like Verizon. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                 Google doesn't need to sell phones, though. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                     But... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Sure - (pwhysall)
                                     +5, Interesting. - (static) - (2)
                                         Might be worth double-checking that - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             No, it's not locked to Telstra. - (static)
         Decided I just can't do it. New T-Mobile $330 LG V10 looks like a possible winner. - (Another Scott) - (21)
             New ones at eBay for $280. - (Another Scott)
             It arrived today. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                 when I get a new, the local tmobile store is happy to put a sim in for me free -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                     Good to know. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         they are as competent with their products as the applestore folks with theirs -NT - (boxley)
                 Bah. The cutter, etc., won't arrive until Monday. Grr... -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Patience, Grasshopper! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Initial thoughts. - (Another Scott) - (12)
                 heh, just got a new t-mobile android phone - (boxley) - (11)
                     :-) Rub it in. ;-) - (Another Scott) - (10)
                         Any privacy concerns with Assistant on your part? - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                             Not yet. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                 Voice recognition is vastly better in my new phone - (drook) - (4)
                                     Agreed (vastly better) for my G6 - (crazy) - (3)
                                         Did some looking - (drook) - (2)
                                             Thanks - (crazy) - (1)
                                                 Yeah, online is actually faster -NT - (drook)
                                 Privacy is the least of your worries on Android - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     Re: Privacy is the least of your worries on Android - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Re: Privacy is the least of your worries on Android - (pwhysall)
             Down to $300 at B&H now. -NT - (Another Scott)

NaN
182 ms