Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New having class is not a tradition
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New Said one plutocrat to another.
bcnu,
Mikem

We read one day, We hold these truths to be self evident. That all men are created equal. That they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights. That among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But if a man doesn't have a job or an income, he has neither life, nor liberty, nor the pursuit of happiness. He merely exists.
MLK
New You realize that George Washington was a rich man, right?
A rich guy named Girard saved the country in the War of 1812.

Rich men have their uses, sometimes.

When was this glorious age when peasants and workers ran the world again?

:-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Worth noting as well
...that Bill Clinton was not remotely in the "plutocrat" class in 1993.

cordially,
New Indeed. But he doesn't count because Clinton == Icky.
New Maybe he wasn't, but Obama ... wait ... what was the point again?
--

Drew
New No, but he was their servant. Turned Treasury over to Wall St. within a year.
bcnu,
Mikem

We read one day, We hold these truths to be self evident. That all men are created equal. That they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights. That among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. But if a man doesn't have a job or an income, he has neither life, nor liberty, nor the pursuit of happiness. He merely exists.
MLK
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Oct. 21, 2016, 08:49:31 AM EDT
New Yeah, that's why he raised their taxes, because he was "their servant". (Groucho-roll-eyes.gif)
New And repealed Glass-Stegall (rolls-eyes)
bcnu,
Mikem

MLK
New Re: And repealed Glass-Stegall (rolls-eyes)
http://www.davemanuel.com/fact-check-did-bill-clinton-repeal-the-glass-steagall-act-120/

The three co-sponsors of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act were:

Sen. Phil Gramm - R
Rep. Jim Leach - R
Rep. Thomas J. Bliley, Jr. - R

In 1999, the Republicans held a majority in both the Senate and the House of Representatives.

The final version of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act passed the House by a vote of 362-57 and the Senate by a vote of 90-8. This made the bill "veto proof", meaning that if Clinton had decided to veto, the bill would have been passed anyways. Having said that, if Clinton truly didn't want the bill to become law, he could have vetoed the bill in a symbolic gesture, but this did not happen.

Yeah, it's all Clinton's fault.

http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2009/10/glass-steagall-and-the-crisis.html

(Quoting Ryan Lizza)

But others note that the pure investment banks, like Lehman Brothers, have been the greatest source of instability, while the banks with combined commercial and investment arms have fared the best. “Banks did terrible things, investment banks did terrible things, a big insurance company named A.I.G. did terrible things, but basically none of that was enabled by the repeal of Glass-Steagall,” said Alan Blinder, an economist at Princeton, who had his share of confrontations with Summers when he was a member of the C.E.A., in the first two years of the Clinton Administration. Brad DeLong added, “To say that the breaking down of the Glass-Steagall wall between investment banks and commercial banks was the source of the current crisis is just wrong”...

Yeah, it's all Clinton's fault.

What's that old expression? Oh yeah:

Explanations exist; they have existed for all time; there is always a well-known solution to every human problem — neat, plausible, and wrong.
- H.L. Mencken

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Clinton won that election by promising to execute contract with america
New "Execute" has several meanings. More words, please.
New Re: the banks with combined commercial and investment arms have fared the best.
Why hell yes they did. Because of the repeal of Glass Stegall, their gambling arm was backed by the taxpayer.
bcnu,
Mikem

MLK
New Re: When was this glorious age when peasants and workers ran the world again?
It's coming. Russia, October 1917 was only a promo. ;0)
bcnu,
Mikem

MLK
New How'd that work out for them?
--

Drew
New How's that literacy and poverty thing working out for us here?
bcnu,
Mikem

MLK
New Whatabout whatabout whatabout ... nope, can't answer can you?
--

Drew
New Gorbachev did in seven years what the CIA could not in 70. The collapse was a catastrophe.
bcnu,
Mikem

MLK
New Redux
Q: When was this glorious age when peasants and workers ran the world again?

A: It's coming. Russia, October 1917 was only a promo.

Explain.
--

Drew
New just a late model of the 1789 uprising
New Sheesh. Two things.
First, what part of "It's coming" is ambiguous? Has the peasant class ever ruled? No. But that doesn't mean there won't be some point in the future where they will rise - just as they did in Russia. Reagan set us on a path to polarize wealth to virtually the same extent that existed in Tsarist Russia and no president, no Senate, no House since has done anything to reverse that trend. It works, for a while, but when the peasants get hungry...

Second, and perhaps more importantly, did you miss the wink? Interesting that you left it out of the post quoting me.
bcnu,
Mikem

MLK
New I missed the joke*
So you agree the peasants have never ruled. But your example (of the next best thing? closest we've ever come?) hasn't ended well for the peasants.

Yay for the peasants overthrowing the czars, I guess. But if that just leads to the oligarchs, I wouldn't exactly point to it as something to try again.

* Not missed as in "didn't see it" but missed as in "didn't think it was funny".
--

Drew
New When the peasants get hungry...
...they rise, overthrow the ruling class, and replace the ruling class with their own ruling class. Only now, it's just called The Party.

And the people at the bottom keep on getting fucked, because what goes around, comes around.
New Re: Gorbachev did in seven years what the CIA could not in 70...
I'm with you as far as the demise of the USSR having been in broad terms a Bad Thing (for them and for us: the removal of that ideological counterweight has led to some particularly vicious excesses on the part of emboldened late-stage capitalism), but your facile quip attributes to the Central Intelligence Agency a mastery of the space-time continuum it never possessed (or so they'd have us believe), given that it had been chartered just forty-four years earlier by the time the commies folded.

in solidarity,
New I stole the line.
I'd have attributed it if I knew the original source. My father told me many Russians he'd spoken with in the mid-1990's were fond of saying that. I believe the "70 years" refers to how long the USSR existed (it didn't quite see its 70th birthday, but close enough for jazz, as they say). That the CIA's intention was always to destroy it, I think, cannot be disputed.
bcnu,
Mikem

MLK
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Oct. 21, 2016, 04:51:29 PM EDT
New Imagine a Republican saying that today
Your success now is our country's success/

Besides the obvious, within a few minutes people would be outraged at the suggestion that a Democrat was included in "our" country.
--

Drew
     The last 2016 presidential debate is done. - (a6l6e6x) - (42)
         Headlines tomorrow: "I'll keep you in suspense" and "Such a nasty woman". - (malraux) - (1)
             I liked his big-eyed shrug in the Q about whether Aleppo had "fallen". He's such a disaster. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Yes. No one is better at avoiding unpleasant truths than HRC. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             Oh do fark off - (pwhysall)
         I didn't watch it... - (rcareaga) - (34)
             There was that one dealbreaker... - (pwhysall) - (33)
                 what tradition? -NT - (boxley) - (32)
                     The one before the Great Civil War of 1968 when Nixon took over after Johnson, remember? -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Re: what tradition? - (pwhysall) - (3)
                         Oh, let me google then - (boxley) - (2)
                             Snort - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 you need to work harder at your traditions - (boxley)
                     Re: what tradition? - (malraux) - (26)
                         having class is not a tradition -NT - (boxley)
                         Said one plutocrat to another. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (23)
                             You realize that George Washington was a rich man, right? - (Another Scott) - (22)
                                 Worth noting as well - (rcareaga) - (9)
                                     Indeed. But he doesn't count because Clinton == Icky. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     Maybe he wasn't, but Obama ... wait ... what was the point again? -NT - (drook)
                                     No, but he was their servant. Turned Treasury over to Wall St. within a year. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                         Yeah, that's why he raised their taxes, because he was "their servant". (Groucho-roll-eyes.gif) -NT - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                             And repealed Glass-Stegall (rolls-eyes) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                 Re: And repealed Glass-Stegall (rolls-eyes) - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                     Clinton won that election by promising to execute contract with america -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                         "Execute" has several meanings. More words, please. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                     Re: the banks with combined commercial and investment arms have fared the best. - (mmoffitt)
                                 Re: When was this glorious age when peasants and workers ran the world again? - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                     How'd that work out for them? -NT - (drook) - (10)
                                         How's that literacy and poverty thing working out for us here? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                             Whatabout whatabout whatabout ... nope, can't answer can you? -NT - (drook) - (8)
                                                 Gorbachev did in seven years what the CIA could not in 70. The collapse was a catastrophe. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                     Redux - (drook) - (4)
                                                         just a late model of the 1789 uprising -NT - (boxley)
                                                         Sheesh. Two things. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                             I missed the joke* - (drook)
                                                             When the peasants get hungry... - (pwhysall)
                                                     Re: Gorbachev did in seven years what the CIA could not in 70... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                                         I stole the line. - (mmoffitt)
                         Imagine a Republican saying that today - (drook)
         Bruce Springsteen re Drumpf (on Channel 4 in Blighty) - (Ashton)
         So #ImANastyWoman is trending - (drook) - (1)
             That note has been on their Drumpf articles for a while. -NT - (malraux)

You have no concept of an internal monologue, do you?
122 ms