IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I assume it's the streaming rights costs compared to DVD/BD rights costs.
Sure, one could have a HD server farm with all the content out there, ready to be streamed, but the distributors will want a fortune to allow streaming of everything. (They want people in theater seats first, then buying DVD/BD, then streaming, I think.)

He may be referring to bandwidth costs, also too.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Leave out rights and I wonder how the costs compare
--

Drew
New there is a netflix server or more in every isp data center, same as google boxen
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New OT: communication when it can't be electronic
You've reminded me of one of my pet SF "what ifs": how would you build an electronic communication system in the age of reliable FTL drives when all you can chuck through the wormhole is physical things. Answer: Sneaker-Net. If you can automate throwing and catching un-manned pods then the choke point becomes reading and writing the data they carry.

Interestingly, a similar problem comes up in Terry Pratchett's novel series that start with "The Long Earth". The only thing that can move between the various parallel earths is a sentient object, so as humanity figures this out, they come up with a system of sending memory cards carried by people between the earths as a kind of "extranet".

Wade.
New What you're saying is ...
Great bandwidth, shitty ping.
--

Drew
New Yep.
But in a situation where there is no other alternative.

It can be an interesting thought-experiment in what it would take to get the ping down to something close to reasonable. It becomes a problem of simultaneous multiplexing where you want to record a small amount of a lot of different traffic streams.

Wade.
New It is the streaming rights
The costs have been steadily jacked up as Netflix started to grow as the distributors believe they have Netflix over a barrel. It was this that caused the overnight doubling of a Netflix subscription and the subsequent split between streaming and DVD delivery. Since then, the streaming catalog has been shrinking evermore, hence the predictions of doom.

If it was up to the distributors, they'd do the same thing to the DVD branch but that one is protected under the laws introduced to allow VHS rentals.

(We opted for the DVD branch following the initial hold-up. It doesn't have that instant gratification thing going for it, but the catalog is near bottomless.)
New Thanks.
     Atrios says Netflix is doomed. - (Another Scott) - (11)
         Yes, but ... - (drook) - (8)
             I assume it's the streaming rights costs compared to DVD/BD rights costs. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                 Leave out rights and I wonder how the costs compare -NT - (drook)
                 there is a netflix server or more in every isp data center, same as google boxen -NT - (boxley)
                 OT: communication when it can't be electronic - (static) - (2)
                     What you're saying is ... - (drook) - (1)
                         Yep. - (static)
                 It is the streaming rights - (scoenye) - (1)
                     Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         An O.T. arabesque from there. - (Ashton) - (1)
             I'd like to see that with more of the fields rolled up - (drook)

Oh right, your thing. Yeah, that stinks.
87 ms