IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New On pearl-clutching and wars
https://www.facebook.com/yudkowsky/posts/10154650743819228?pnref=story

If I were to try summarize very briefly why Trump's remarks on NATO crossed a HOLY SHIT line, it'd be along the lines of: "If you read the history books, you realize that it is REALLY REALLY bad to have any ambiguity about which minor powers the major powers will defend; that is how World War I *and* World War II both started."

And: "In the wake of the second World War that started from that kind of ambiguity, the senior leaders in both the East and the West, enemies though they may have been, decided to learn the lesson and henceforth be more clear about which countries they'd defend. Not only did Trump blow through that, he did so in a way that indicates he has no idea of how World War I started and why this is one of the things you absolutely don't do. He doesn't listen to advisors. He doesn't have advisors! God knows what other guardrails he's going to blow through!"
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New The money quote IMO
Scope is real. If you ever have to choose between voting a convicted serial abuser of children into the Presidential office--but this person otherwise seems stable and collected--versus a Presidential candidate who seems easy to provoke and who has 'bad days' and doesn't listen to advisors and once said "Why do we have all these nukes if we can't use them?", it is deadly important that you vote for the pedophile. It isn't physically possible to abuse enough children per day over 4 years to do as much damage as you can do with one wrong move in the National Security Decision-Making Game.

An evil but sane NSDM player is far, far less dangerous than an impulsive one who doesn't care all that much about what the rules of NSDM are supposed to be.
--

Drew
New Feh. In a world without the Warsaw Pact, you don't need NATO.
New Where is that world?
--

Drew
New This one. Since 3/31/1991.
New Neither of those existed before WWI
And it still happened. You need guardrails. Trump ignores them. Clinton doesn't. He's an order of magnitude more dangerous.
Regards,
-scott
New More dangerous than a "No Fly Zone" over Syria?
Followed by, perhaps, a "No Fly Zone" over Ukraine? What do you think our reaction would be to Putin suggesting that, in order to save innocent Palestinian lives, they needed to establish a "No Fly Zone" over Israel?
New Yes, absolutely.
You apparently didn't understand the point of that essay.
Regards,
-scott
New Sure I did. I just reject the idea that NATO makes the world safer.
     On pearl-clutching and wars - (malraux) - (8)
         The money quote IMO - (drook)
         Feh. In a world without the Warsaw Pact, you don't need NATO. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (6)
             Where is that world? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                 This one. Since 3/31/1991. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Neither of those existed before WWI - (malraux) - (3)
                 More dangerous than a "No Fly Zone" over Syria? - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     Yes, absolutely. - (malraux) - (1)
                         Sure I did. I just reject the idea that NATO makes the world safer. -NT - (mmoffitt)

Come inside!
84 ms