IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One for Box: History's greatest monster at his last Native Americans conference.
http://washingtonmonthly.com/2016/09/28/president-obama-kept-his-promises-to-native-americans/

[...]

I have been following the Obama administration’s work with Native Americans pretty closely for a while now. There is a reason why – even back in 2012 – Cherokee Nation Chief Bill John Baker called President Obama the “best president ever for American Indians.” But in a letter to the President, Lindsay Early captured it all on a much more personal level. She describes going to an Obama campaign rally in Dallas with a friend back in 2008.

At the rally, we met people of all ages, races, and creeds. Despite our different circumstances, we were all united by the common hope for change and better opportunities. When it was time for you to speak, the crowd grew quiet, anxious to hear your plans for this great country of ours. In the speech, you promised you would always do your best to represent all Americans. When you mentioned plans to represent African Americans, the crowd erupted. When you spoke about the importance of the Latino vote, the crowd once again let out a roaring cheer. Lastly, you mentioned that you would do your best to represent Native Americans. Two little voices screamed as loud as we could from the balcony. You answered back, “I hear you girls, and when I am elected, I won’t forget you!”

We were absolutely ecstatic. You see, President Obama, this was the first time we had ever heard any presidential candidate mention Native Americans. This was the first time any presidential candidate had made us feel that we mattered and our voices were important.

That was the promise that Lindsay heard. She now works for the Comanche Nation. Here’s what she wrote about how that promise has been kept.

I can visibly see and feel the differences in Indian Country in the seven years you have been in office, and for that I want to thank you.

You have managed to do for Native Americans what no president has done before, President Obama. You promised during that speech in Dallas that when you where in office, you wouldn’t forget about us. Thank you for keeping your promise!

As President Obama’s second term comes to a close, we’ll be hearing a lot about his legacy. There is nothing that will go on his list of achievements that will make me much prouder than the way he has kept that promise.

But they're all the same, amirite?

(sigh)

[edit:] Removed the apostrophe in the title.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Sept. 29, 2016, 02:27:57 PM EDT
New I attended Catawba Nation Chief Harris's talk last week and there was no mention of Obama.
But, plenty of mention of US government, SC state, and York county wrongs of the past. Only in recent years has the city of Rock Hill taken on the role of educating the Catawba children in the public schools.

I learned elsewhere that the Catawbas are mostly Mormon because the Mormons had had a mission to provide education in the past.

The Catawbas are neighbors. The Catawba Reservation is on the other side and just a bit downstream the river near where I live. We have Catawba burial grounds that are fenced "do not enter", federal, and state protected areas in our community.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New History's greatest monster? naw he is just Shrub++ killed more americans via drones
and ruled by fiat, not democracy
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New Rhetorical question
When facing a proudly obstructionist Congress, had he not used executive orders, might his opponents have accused him of being "ineffective"?
--

Drew
New So he's used executive orders more than other Presidents?
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New not the quantity, it is the overriding of statutes in place
Immigration, his order not to deport $x when the law states $x should be deported as well as his catch and release policy is one example of overreach
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New When there isn't enough money, the Executive prioritizes. It's nothing new.
     One for Box: History's greatest monster at his last Native Americans conference. - (Another Scott) - (6)
         I attended Catawba Nation Chief Harris's talk last week and there was no mention of Obama. - (a6l6e6x)
         History's greatest monster? naw he is just Shrub++ killed more americans via drones - (boxley) - (4)
             Rhetorical question - (drook)
             So he's used executive orders more than other Presidents? -NT - (malraux) - (2)
                 not the quantity, it is the overriding of statutes in place - (boxley) - (1)
                     When there isn't enough money, the Executive prioritizes. It's nothing new. -NT - (Another Scott)

Hmmm...Cucumis sativus...coincidence? I think not.
49 ms