IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Petah: Listen to this with your ear growths
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBWvsWoUemU

The game may be shit, but the soundtrack is gorgeous.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New The game is not shit
But it is not the game everyone thought it was going to be.

It is a Zen simulator - yes, you do the same things over and over. Consider it an aid to meditation and relaxation, and if you want a game to play with a plot and all that stuff, there's always GTA V or Sleeping Dogs or Deus Ex Mankind Divided or Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 or whatever.

And yes, the music is marvellous.
New Well...
The controls are shit, the inventory system is shit, the gameplay balance is shit, and if you bought it based on what Murray told you it was going to be (which was definitely not a meditation simulator) then you're going to be quite disappointed.

Seriously... who uses a point and click cursor system on a console for a slot interface? And why do you have to use it in the middle of ship to ship combat to recharge shields? Or screen blocking overlays for achievements?

But you're right: if you just want to zen out, it's fine. There's a brisk business in ASMR going with NMS now. Portions of NMS are brilliant, including the music. But the game part is shit. :-)

The first 1:30 pretty much says it all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTTPlqK8AnY
Regards,
-scott
New Console?
Who's playing it on a console?

New Different things for different people
I very much enjoy the Uncharted series (PS4 only) and in my dotage I really, really hate building machines.
Regards,
-scott
New Yup. Gaming on PCs seems like a huge waste of money to me.
New Well, you can get more for your money.
So if you want a PS4-equivalent PC, you won't pay quite as much (especially considering that PSN and XBox Online are $50/year) -- you just won't be able to play console-exclusive games. Of course, there are also PC-exclusive games, so really you need to pick what you want to play. Elite: Dangerous might tempt me into a PC since No Man's Sky is kind of a bust: it's only available on PC and XBox. But like I said, Uncharted is really, really good and it's PS4-only.

However, now that the consoles are beginning to release hardware updates, one of the PC's advantages is lessening, but a new upgraded console might be more expensive than an upgraded video card as long as you're not buying top of the line.

If I don't want to buy a whole PC, an external drive for my MBP might work. It's not really a gaming machine though, especially since it's going on 3 years old.
Regards,
-scott
New I have both.
Some games are just better on a console. Anything that involves fighting is automatically better on a controller. Platformers, too. Also, racing.

The PC has some key advantages:

1. Mods! Games like Fallout and Skyrim are just bollocks if you go back to the vanilla experience after having played them with mods.

2. 25 years of mouse + keyboard muscle memory. I just can't play FPS games on a controller (OTS games are not much better). Also, FPS games are much much much much better with a KB/M, and so are RTSes. So the upcoming round of top-tier FPS games, releasing on XB1 and Windows 10, (Titanfall 2, Gears of War 4, etc.). I cannot imagine Civ V being anything other than a terrible miserable experience with two joysticks instead of a mouse.

3. POWERRRRRRR! My PC (which isn't just for games, I do all my photo nerding on it, too) has got 24GB RAM, a 2GB GTX 960 (which is going to get nuked for a 1060 at some point), and stacks of storage. Games just look better on my rig vs. console (but see above re: controls and the inverse: my inability to play certain game types on console). I can play games in 1440p, or not.

Of course there's cost, convenience, sociability (it's in the living room!) all on the console's side. But that's why I have both :D
New If I do buy a PC, I'll probably hook it up to the TV
For that living room experience. Wireless KB and mouse should be fine. I'm not an FPS monster and no amount of Bluetooth lag is going to appreciably harm my abilities.

We were going to get mods for Fallout and Skyrim on the PS4, but due to Sony shenanigans (supposedly) that's been canceled. :-(

I'm likely to run out of HDMI inputs on my receiver if I went both. :-)
Regards,
-scott
     Petah: Listen to this with your ear growths - (malraux) - (8)
         The game is not shit - (pwhysall) - (7)
             Well... - (malraux) - (6)
                 Console? - (pwhysall) - (5)
                     Different things for different people - (malraux) - (4)
                         Yup. Gaming on PCs seems like a huge waste of money to me. -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Well, you can get more for your money. - (malraux)
                             I have both. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 If I do buy a PC, I'll probably hook it up to the TV - (malraux)

Idiocy is relative.
48 ms