IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 21st century ether?
This ESO article (2001) does a pretty good job explaining the standard candles (Type 1a supernovae) and the possibilities that they may not hold up as we go farther back in time.

https://www.eso.org/~bleibund/papers/EPN/epn.html

Dark matter and energy were thrown in the mix to reconcile our theoretical understanding with ever more accurate observations. It is reminiscent of the introduction of "ether" to explain the actions of gravity before Einstein came along and made the need for it go away. Just like then, experiments alone may not be enough to get to the next level. We may need another such jump in understanding to get things going again.
New Thanks. Dunno.
They've apparently got data beyond red-shifts of 1.5:

There seems to be something to the thought that the cosmological constant is slightly positive (implying some acceleration), but they're looking at very, very faint objects and applying lots of assumptions. There's a lot of scatter in the data too...

I dunno.

The universe is an amazingly rich, complex, and wonderful place. We shouldn't have so much hubris to think that we've got it all figured out in just the 90 years since the Big Bang was seriously considered in the scientific literature.

Fascinating stuff.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Indeed.
     Scientific American: WIMPs might not exist, and what it means for "dark matter". - (Another Scott) - (8)
         Can you imagine working a lifetime on an unprovable theory? -NT - (crazy) - (2)
             Better than working a lifetime on a theory that . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Which is why you're safe with supersymmetry! :) - (a6l6e6x)
         There, there.. me proud Beauties - (Ashton) - (4)
             What gets me about this "dark matter" (and dark energy) stuff... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 21st century ether? - (scoenye) - (2)
                     Thanks. Dunno. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Indeed. -NT - (scoenye)

Why not just name him Hitler B. Evil?
43 ms