IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No mention of Hovver Bovver either
that was a fun game. BTW how did "Doom" beat "Quake"? FBog!

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New I can understand Doom beating Quake.
Quake had atmosphere, technological whizziness, and lots of brown.
Doom OTOH had fun, fun, and lots of fun. Rooms full of monsters were fun. Still remember the first ever time I played it, and the associated 'WOW' factor. Can't say the same for Quake.

However I think I've played a lot more Quake than I have Doom, esp. Multiplayer.

On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Doom is to single player 3d shooter...
...as Quake is to multiplayer 3d shooters. Revolutionized the genre.

(Side note: There's no excuse for MULE not to be on that list - there are games older than it on the list.)

Here are games that IMO don't belong on that list, and why:

Unreal - Yeah, it's pretty. Quite frankly, the single player didn't do much for me. The AI was overrated (It's basically Quake/Doom level AI, except the critters move a lot faster, do a lot more damage, and take a lot more damage. The deathmatch bots were pretty good, though.) and the story made no sense (to me) whatsoever.

Halo - I've already said why.

I'd replace them with StarFlight, and Fallout/Wasteland.
InThane - Now running Ashton rev 2.0
New I really unjoyed Unreal
But yeah, don't know if it really deserved a place on the list - after all is was pretty much a 'me-too' game.

there's never going to be a list like this that everyone agrees with. Maybe that's why newspapers and magazines keep doing them. Incites discussion, leads to sales...

Haven't played StarFlight or Fallout/Wasteland. Can't think, off the top of my head, of any games that should be on the list. Maybe The Settlers, just because it one of those games that for great stretched of time I simply couldn't put down.
On and on and on and on,
New Definitely.
Doom was a whole new experience. I remember playing the shareware version a friend gave me on my old laptop - I flattened and charged the batteries 3 or 4 times in one sitting!

I'm glad to see Diablo was high on the list. Although I never bought the first one (only played a borrowed copy in multi-player), I can understand why it took off. Especially how I have bought Diablo II and am enjoying it immensely.

I'm also glad Wipeout 2097 was on the list, though I would have rated it higher. It, too, was a Defining game for the PlayStation. IMO, it was one of the few games where it felt like you were going the speed you were going.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New WipEout 2097...
...was the reason I bought a PlayStation in the first place. I still play it now.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New *grin*

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Quake has one thing.
Gameplay.

This tradition continued with Q2, and now with Q3A which has quite simply the most developed gameplay of any online shooter.

I've played Unreal (shocking input lag in D3D mode and orrible OpenGL support), Unreal Tournament, Serious Sam, Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Kingpin and a slew of others that didn't stick in my mind.

The one I go back to is Quake 3. I play the Threewave mod, specifically CaptureStrike (think Rocket Arena [fine mod] meets Capture The Flag).

Here's testament to the staying power of Quake. People are /still/ playing the original QuakeWorld online.

People only play Doom for a few minutes nostalgia now. ("WTF I can't rocket jump! Hang on, I can't jump AT ALL!")

There's a whole 'nother post waiting about how the Quake 3 engine kicks Unreal's sorry ass, too :-)

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
New No jumping in Doom still comes as a surprise
each time I go back to it. But nowadays I run one of the new GL-ised version where they've added things like jumping. And translucency. And the impression that some people just refuse to let go of old games and learn to move on :)
On and on and on and on,
New Jumping, like Redneck Rampage
Redneck Rampage was fun for about 20 minutes, but then the game sort of wore off into a Doom or Quake clone. But you could jump and squat. If you squatted in a well or toliet, it would take you to an underground water shortcut.

Just watch out for that truck on the main road, and find the bowling ball to hit the chickens with and knock them down like pins. Funny for the first 20 minutes, but then you get tired of playing it.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
     Yet another 'Top 50 games' list - (Meerkat) - (23)
         Maybe they should replace it with... - (inthane-chan) - (12)
             Good point, MULE was tops! - (Meerkat) - (11)
                 No mention of Hovver Bovver either - (orion) - (9)
                     I can understand Doom beating Quake. - (Meerkat) - (8)
                         Doom is to single player 3d shooter... - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                             I really unjoyed Unreal - (Meerkat)
                             Definitely. - (static) - (2)
                                 WipEout 2097... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     *grin* -NT - (static)
                         Quake has one thing. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                             No jumping in Doom still comes as a surprise - (Meerkat) - (1)
                                 Jumping, like Redneck Rampage - (orion)
                 More good games not on the list - (orion)
         I wonder... - (pwhysall) - (4)
             Perhaps the list was fairly personal - (Meerkat) - (3)
                 Tekken 2 changed the rules. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Being good at duelling games. - (static)
                     Re: Tekken 2 changed the rules. - (wharris2)
         I am *definitely* not a gamer - (ben_tilly) - (4)
             apt-get install xscreensaver-gl :-) -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 Thought so - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                     Hey. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Sigh. If only I had talent, - (Meerkat)

"First they came for the verbs and I said nothing, for verbing weirds language. Then they arrival for the nouns and I speech nothing, for I no verbs." - Peter Ellis
76 ms