IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is this guy full of beans?
http://www.flyunleaded.com/

Says there is 94M unleaded mogas in 6 airports in Indiana.

Myths about mogas.

This is all new to me, so maybe I'm missing something.

Apparently tetraethyl lead production is being phased out, so something is going to be done (without requiring people to buy new engines and fuel systems).

Help me out here?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New No, he's not. He's referring to Ethanol Free auto gas.
Which is no problem EXCEPT that it is not widely available at airports. Look at the map linked at one of your links and see how many of those places where ethanol-free auto gas is available are *at* airports. Within 100 miles of me, for instance, there's ONE that has it on field and it's a grass strip (so no going there in the winter).

Sure, I can haul 4 ten gallon cans to the nearest gas station selling ethanol-free autogas, fill them up, throw them in the back of the car and then haul them into the hangar and fill up my airplane. But what happens when I land somewhere that doesn't have it on the field? How am I going to get home? Am I supposed to haul those 4 empty cans around with me in the back of the airplane (a safety nightmare), land, rent a car, drive to the gas station and then haul 40 gallons of gas back to the airport to fill up again? It's impractical. The reason its not widely available at airfields I've already alluded to: nobody wants to rip out and replace all the stuff they'd have to rip out and replace in order to sell this fuel. If the taxpayer wants to fund that effort, I'm all for it. But you and I know they don't want to do that. The public perception that "Ooooh, he flies his own airplane. He's riiiiiich" is too strong.

A few years back, at Purdue, an allegedly 100% compatible lead-free fuel was developed, but I lost track of where that was going (Swift fuel, IIRC). ISTR that it was some kind of bio-mass fuel that you could "mix" with 100LL (not that you'd do that, but it meant no ripping/replacing of existing infrastructure, draining your existing fuel - including unusable, etc.). Since I haven't heard anything about that in years, I imagine its not going too well.

My point is that we do NOT at present have a workable, safe replacement for 100LL *at* airports and until we do, banning it will mean the death of GA for all but the most monied. I'm not against using unleaded fuel at all. I'm not thick enough to hold that lead in the air is "not so bad." But I don't want to see GA harmed anymore than it already has been. If 100LL got banned this year or next, the value of my airplane would disappear and I'd never again be able to truly look down on the rest of the nation. ;0)

Edit: "ethanol free auto gas", there is no ethanol in any AvGas for a reason.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt Aug. 29, 2016, 02:00:31 PM EDT
New Good points. Thanks.
     GA aircraft are largest remaining source of lead emissions. - (Another Scott) - (54)
         Now you will really piss off Mike! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Bullshit. - (mmoffitt)
         Retrofitting or not - (malraux) - (50)
             Guppy. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Yup. This is a solvable problem. Lead is bad news. - (Another Scott) - (48)
                 You guys are mighty damned liberal with MY freedom to fly. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (47)
                     Regulating the use of public spaces is a problem? ;-p - (Another Scott) - (4)
                         You don't know the fleet. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                             Is this guy full of beans? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 No, he's not. He's referring to Ethanol Free auto gas. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     Good points. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     You can fly. It's not the flying that's the problem. -NT - (pwhysall) - (26)
                         This. Fix your goddamned plane then you can fly. It's pretty simple. -NT - (malraux) - (25)
                             Give me $250,000 and I'll do it. Don't give me your unfunded mandate. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (24)
                                 Not my problem. Planes putting lead in the air is. -NT - (malraux) - (11)
                                     Pilots didn't put the lead in the gas. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                         Who. Cares? - (malraux) - (9)
                                             How about holding those responsible, responsible for a change? And that ain't us. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                                 Not holding you responsible - (malraux) - (7)
                                                     Tell you what. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                                         You don't need to fly a hobby plane for the helicopters to fly. -NT - (malraux) - (5)
                                                             They are GA aircraft and a lot of them burn the same fuel. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                                 YOU don't need to fly a hobby plane. - (malraux) - (3)
                                                                     Stylish clan there! :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                         :-) - (malraux)
                                                                     Arrow? -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 Omfg. 167k out of 300+ million - (crazy) - (11)
                                     Your math is as bad as the rest of you. 167K aircraft != 167K people. HTH. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                         Do you timeshare your craft? -NT - (crazy) - (9)
                                             Flight Club. Heard of them? Of course not. You're out of your depth. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                             And I find it interesting the point you picked - (crazy) - (7)
                                                 For a communist he's a pretty entitled SOB at times. -NT - (malraux) - (6)
                                                     I earned it. ;0) - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                         Only in theory! - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                                             I don't think the amount contributed by the top is limited to communist societies. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                 No argument there. But, it's that communism is not a solution. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                     MMoffitt's Communisim explained . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                         :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     YTF are you ok with putting lead in the air? -NT - (malraux) - (14)
                         Because there isn't a safe alternative yet. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                             Safe for *whom*? -NT - (malraux) - (3)
                                 The people in the airplane and the people on the ground they might crash into. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                     Not a problem if they aren't in the air. HTH. -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                                         heh. Thanks for making my point. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                             Yeah, there is. - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                 My ancestors didn't listen to you folks. Why should I? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                     Well, that's one way to not answer the question. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                         You won't just be screwing me. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                             Scientific American - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                 I'll stop at Anderson whenever I get the chance. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                     Looks like you're good to go, but I may be missing something. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                         Thanks, I'll look. - (mmoffitt)
                                         Pretty much - (crazy)
         I did remember the Purdue fuel correctly. Don't worry. Be happy. - (mmoffitt)

I like it warm and pink, with the whip-marks still on it.
81 ms