IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New YTF are you ok with putting lead in the air?
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Because there isn't a safe alternative yet.
New Safe for *whom*?
Regards,
-scott
New The people in the airplane and the people on the ground they might crash into.
New Not a problem if they aren't in the air. HTH.
Regards,
-scott
New heh. Thanks for making my point.
New Yeah, there is.
Not flying until you get your unleaded shit together.

Why do you think you've got a free pass to emit something we know is seriously bad mojo - so much so that the car makers sorted their shit out, and you can be sure they didn't do that out of the goodness of their hearts - just so you can do your hobby?
New My ancestors didn't listen to you folks. Why should I?
New Well, that's one way to not answer the question.
But I think we all know that you don't actually have an answer other than "I wanna fly, so fuck you!"
New You won't just be screwing me.
Ask Bill how easy things would be in Alaska, for example, if piston aircraft were grounded. Or the recipients of Angel Flights. Or Pilots N Paws rescue pilots. Or look at what us bad, privileged piston aircraft pilots did after Katrina hit. A lot of people will suffer if you ground piston aircraft because of the fuel. You'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face. On balance, GA contributes vastly more than it harms. And we're getting rid of it anyway (see link below).
New Scientific American
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/lead-in-aviation-fuel/

Some of the health effects of repeated exposure to lead include damage to the central nervous system, kidneys and red blood cells, and decreased function in the cardiovascular and immune systems. Lower IQ levels and learning disabilities can also result from lead exposure, especially in children, whose young bodies are more sensitive than those of adults. And scientists at the National Toxicology Program have concluded that lead and lead compounds are “reasonably anticipated to be human carcinogens.”

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recognizes lead as a neurotoxin and in 2008 set tough new standards for how much of it is safe in our air. In 2010 the agency identified 16 U.S. regions that fail to meet clean air standards for airborne lead; all either contained or were near airports where leaded avgas is the norm. But the EPA has not yet restricted lead in avgas, even though unleaded avgas is available.

A 2011 Duke University study found that kids living within 500 meters of an airport where leaded avgas is used have higher blood lead levels than other children, with elevated lead levels in blood found in kids as far as one kilometer away. The EPA estimates that 16 million Americans live close to one of 22,000 airports where leaded avgas is routinely used—and three million children go to schools near these airports.

GA pilots should be pressuring the relevant suppliers and authorities to develop the required fuel ASAP. (It should have been done decades ago, obviously.) You know that the phase-out of lead is coming, you know that lead is toxic, you know that post-Flint political pressure to get lead out of kids is going to increase, so you might as well show that you're a responsible group by getting out in front of it.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I'll stop at Anderson whenever I get the chance.
Of course, I'll have to check with the FAA that UL94 is approved for Continental O-300 engines. I'm dubious and unwilling to take a chance. Unleaded AvGas has been "being worked on" for quite some time. However, and this point cannot be overstated, the auto industry could move faster because they never had to contend with the FAA. The FAA is lapped by glaciers routinely.
New Looks like you're good to go, but I may be missing something.
http://www.autofuelstc.com/approved_engines_airfames.phtml

http://flyunleaded.com/Aviation_Fuel_Update_6_2012.pdf (45 page .PDF). See slide 30 especially. The EAA link on slide 30 is a 404 though. It should be:

http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-communities-and-interests/pilot-resources/auto-fuel-stc/approved-engine-models

Looks like you might need to spend < $300 for a Supplementary Type Certificate (STC).

HTH a bit.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks, I'll look.
But unless they've issued a new one, I already have the Unleaded Fuel STC. A few years back, the FAA issued a statement that none of those were good because none of those were issued when ethanol was in the fuel. With this fuel, though, I might be good to go. Worth looking into anyway. Thanks again.
New Pretty much
I had a lesson once. It was an amazing feeling. I can understand the godlike draw of flying a small plane. It was better than skydiving. Hell, I'd risk a bunch of other people to continue the experience. So I understand the irrational viewpoint.
Expand Edited by crazy Aug. 30, 2016, 12:06:00 PM EDT
     GA aircraft are largest remaining source of lead emissions. - (Another Scott) - (54)
         Now you will really piss off Mike! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Bullshit. - (mmoffitt)
         Retrofitting or not - (malraux) - (50)
             Guppy. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Yup. This is a solvable problem. Lead is bad news. - (Another Scott) - (48)
                 You guys are mighty damned liberal with MY freedom to fly. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (47)
                     Regulating the use of public spaces is a problem? ;-p - (Another Scott) - (4)
                         You don't know the fleet. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                             Is this guy full of beans? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 No, he's not. He's referring to Ethanol Free auto gas. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     Good points. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     You can fly. It's not the flying that's the problem. -NT - (pwhysall) - (26)
                         This. Fix your goddamned plane then you can fly. It's pretty simple. -NT - (malraux) - (25)
                             Give me $250,000 and I'll do it. Don't give me your unfunded mandate. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (24)
                                 Not my problem. Planes putting lead in the air is. -NT - (malraux) - (11)
                                     Pilots didn't put the lead in the gas. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                         Who. Cares? - (malraux) - (9)
                                             How about holding those responsible, responsible for a change? And that ain't us. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                                 Not holding you responsible - (malraux) - (7)
                                                     Tell you what. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                                         You don't need to fly a hobby plane for the helicopters to fly. -NT - (malraux) - (5)
                                                             They are GA aircraft and a lot of them burn the same fuel. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                                 YOU don't need to fly a hobby plane. - (malraux) - (3)
                                                                     Stylish clan there! :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                         :-) - (malraux)
                                                                     Arrow? -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 Omfg. 167k out of 300+ million - (crazy) - (11)
                                     Your math is as bad as the rest of you. 167K aircraft != 167K people. HTH. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                         Do you timeshare your craft? -NT - (crazy) - (9)
                                             Flight Club. Heard of them? Of course not. You're out of your depth. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                             And I find it interesting the point you picked - (crazy) - (7)
                                                 For a communist he's a pretty entitled SOB at times. -NT - (malraux) - (6)
                                                     I earned it. ;0) - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                         Only in theory! - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                                             I don't think the amount contributed by the top is limited to communist societies. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                 No argument there. But, it's that communism is not a solution. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                     MMoffitt's Communisim explained . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                         :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     YTF are you ok with putting lead in the air? -NT - (malraux) - (14)
                         Because there isn't a safe alternative yet. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                             Safe for *whom*? -NT - (malraux) - (3)
                                 The people in the airplane and the people on the ground they might crash into. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                     Not a problem if they aren't in the air. HTH. -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                                         heh. Thanks for making my point. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                             Yeah, there is. - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                 My ancestors didn't listen to you folks. Why should I? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                     Well, that's one way to not answer the question. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                         You won't just be screwing me. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                             Scientific American - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                 I'll stop at Anderson whenever I get the chance. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                     Looks like you're good to go, but I may be missing something. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                         Thanks, I'll look. - (mmoffitt)
                                         Pretty much - (crazy)
         I did remember the Purdue fuel correctly. Don't worry. Be happy. - (mmoffitt)

"No question," Trudeau said confidently, "it was definitely out my butt."
103 ms