I keep away because people with real issues have the significance of those issues diluted by assholes.

1. Autism is over-diagnosed - your kid is a little shit and you're a crap parent. But hey, if Doogie Howser MD says "it's autism!" it's not your fault!

2. Asperger's is over-self-diagnosed - no, you're just an anti-social ignorant nerd with poor social skills. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with you but doesn't it feel good to know that it's not your fault? Fuck you and your triggers. And yes, if it makes you feel better, you can call this a micro-aggression.

I know a family with an (actually) autistic kid. It's really not Rain Man or the lad from London who can draw incredibly well.

He's super-needy, cannot tolerate change of any kind, requires constant (and I mean 100% eyes-on) observation from dawn until dusk, is triggered by a huge list of random shit, and his parents are basically completely exhausted and strung out all the time. Don't get me wrong - he's a nice kid, but the special skills and strategies needed to handle him at all times are just ridiculously demanding.

I wouldn't wish that shit on anyone, and anyone who saw it wouldn't wish it on themselves.