IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Thanks both and.. ARrrrgggggghhh
Good question. If I send someone to Apple, it breaks - will they hate me even more? Guess I still need to look a bit more though - getting someone new, M$-free, may be worth a bit of different-kinds of suffering.

As to Zip - dunno if their lazy 'engineering' of drivers extends to whatever library calls are made in Mac OS, but when I recently installed 3 W98SE-lites and it came time for Zips (my friend has one):

I noted the DLL-Hell reminders - some of the dlls that came with *latest download* from Gawd-forsaken Utah: included some old versions of popular ones - dates to '97 IIRC, while others are using '00 or later versions.

It's so bad re Zip that Roxio (inheritors of the Adaptec CDR s/ware marketing) have a note about specifically ~3 fav Old dlls which Zip still purveys to us all. They suggest renaming the Zip stuff to '.org' and putting latest dlls in \\sys folder. More stuff to do.

{sigh}

Natch I have no idea if.. such a phenom translates to your OS, nor if Apple OS can have several libraries of same name in memory, attached to different tasks. Last I heard: only One in memory for M$, though it will load from /sys initially, only if it doesn't find it first in the ap's own directory.

Dare you momentarily uninstall all Zip stuff? Could be telling.

Cheers,

Ashton
New Given Iomega reputation, you may have a good point.
"Dare you momentarily uninstall all Zip stuff? Could be telling."

I'd look for an alternative, if any.
Alex

Only two things are certain: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not certain about the universe.
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
New Plus, if it's an extension conflict
you could run a conflict test with Conflict Catcher. I found this works noticeably better than trial or error.

Ash, I've always had excellent luck with Apple Support. I just make sure to treat them like human beings, explain the problem, explain what I've done already and be prepared to sit by your machine and try stuff when they tell you to.

I've been using Macs since '95 and don't have a single support horror story to tell, for what that's worth.

New Not a bad clincher to pass on,
next inquiry I get. That kind of service is quite a lot - by any comparison!

It also reminds how (many of us?) got sucked in by the creeping gradualism of accumulating lore.. more and more evidence of inherent crappiness but: you remember All that Stuff. Start over ?!?

All I know for certain is - there will be no NT, W2K, XP in my future; even on tech. grounds, let alone the association with such a scam. When 9.x is sufficiently assassinated by plan - I will have to choose! for myself too.

Thanks to Andy's Aaxnet - I can send folk to see some of the considerations before.. I tell 'em what I think about Billyware. (spread the disillusionment, I say)

Hmmm - even though I'm ept enough to have a choice of *nix and Apple - with OSX next: I'd still have a similar option of both - as with (just) Intel hdwre now.

Now as to that soft glow from the translucent logo on the notebooks.. why that's.. plumb seductive!

Who says logical decisions are best? Not I. :-\ufffd

A.
New Yay for illogical decisions :)
Else I would probably never have bought an iBook. But I'm still very glad I did. Ok, Ok, I bought a glowing Apple logo, and it came with a free computer wrapped around it...
On and on and on and on,
and on and on and on goes John.
New Sinceyou put it that way...
You could say I bought a nice purple Sony box and it came with a laptop inside...

Wade

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

General rambling Mac-2001 questions :[ :-) - (Ashton) - (10)
         Apple carries a lot of emotional baggage for those - (tjsinclair) - (9)
             Where do you go for debugging crashes? - (Another Scott) - (8)
                 www.macfixit.com - (tjsinclair) - (1)
                     Thanks very much for the pointers! -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Thanks both and.. ARrrrgggggghhh - (Ashton) - (5)
                     Given Iomega reputation, you may have a good point. - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                         Plus, if it's an extension conflict - (tjsinclair) - (3)
                             Not a bad clincher to pass on, - (Ashton) - (2)
                                 Yay for illogical decisions :) - (Meerkat) - (1)
                                     Sinceyou put it that way... - (static)

Even the hydrocoptic marzelvane came up with a null...
117 ms