IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Seems to be, but I usually DIY.
I usually pick my own hard drives and get a cheap external enclosure to go with it. The pre-packaged HDs are usually not the best.

Just about everything understands FAT32/exFAT (it's what is used for USB flash drives) - that's the most compatible format, but has no fault tolerance, etc.

You could just attach it to some master computer, format it as you like, then share it over the network. That would save you having to think about how to format it. As long as all the PCs can see network drives, you're golden.

I dunno how friendly Chromebooks are to storage on the network. I haven't tried that bit myself, but apparently it can be done.

It looks like Chromebooks can access lots of directly attached file systems also, too. But note that HFS+ is read-only on journaled systems.

MacOS can write to NTFS with a little work - dunno how robust that is.

If RW support is robust enough on MacOS, NTFS might be the best choice if you don't want to do the network sharing route.

HTH a little. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New That's what I was seeing
I have to support two teenagers, each with a Chromebook and an iPhone. I can faff around with complexity, it needs to be plug-and-play (or as near to it as possible) for them. Got to see if there's NTFS capability for iPhones.
--

Drew
New exFAT.
Nothing else is going to work right for you.

ETA: I don't know jack about Chromebooks and how they play with local storage. "badly" is my guess, but see the previous sentence.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Aug. 3, 2016, 11:27:43 AM EDT
New Winner!
Hadn't heard of that one. Supported by IOS, iPhone, Chromebook, Windows and Linux. Thankee.
--

Drew
New Just make sure to hammer in the proper eject procedure
5 implementations by 4 sources, likely to all have their quirks, and FAT has never been known as a robust file system.
New Thanks for the tip
--

Drew
     Is this a good deal for an external drive? - (drook) - (8)
         Seems to be, but I usually DIY. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             That's what I was seeing - (drook) - (4)
                 exFAT. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     Winner! - (drook) - (2)
                         Just make sure to hammer in the proper eject procedure - (scoenye) - (1)
                             Thanks for the tip -NT - (drook)
         Pre-formatted hard drives can be NTFS. - (static) - (1)
             I use NTFS for my memory sticks - (pwhysall)

I think it is I who would be expected to provide the goats as my dowry.
84 ms