IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A Welfare Check
Reveal -- From the Center for Investigative Reporting
Visit the program's official website
Created by The Center for Investigative Reporting and PRX, Reveal is public radios first one-hour weekly radio show and podcast dedicated to investigative reporting. Credible, fact based and without a partisan agenda, Reveal combines the power and artistry of driveway moment storytelling with data-rich reporting on critically important issues.

Twenty years ago, President Bill Clinton vowed to end welfare as we know it. And he did. Today, only a quarter of welfare dollars actually goes toward basic assistance housing, transportation or essential household items. On this hour of Reveal, we take a road trip with Marketplace's new podcast "The Uncertain Hour" and find out the surprising ways different states use this money, for things such as relationship counseling and college tuition for well-off kids

Heard, driving, en passant on NPR this PM. A couple factoids which will maybe even -surprise- (if that still works in your neurons) ... about the virus-Against-'Saving' {hardly-anything-at-all) now rampant amidst The Muricans.

1) HALF of all Muricans cannot come up with--Emergency, say?--USD $2K within thirty datys..

2) Of those earning a combined/household income of $150K==One hundred fifty thou/yr==20% cannot, either.

3) So we all know how Slick Willie stole Ronnie's welfare-queen slogan to finally convict A Lot of Muricans of the ONLY actual-Crime daily prosecutable in the dis-US: Being. Poor.

4) Discussion in U. of S. Africa re inducements To Save via throwing in a lottery-like "chance" ... and how well that Worked, psychologically AND fiscally.

5) Chance of getting any Actual Cash, when qualified for welfare, in 2016: well, on average: 23% might receive some. In advanced-parsimonious places like Oklahoma:
7% get some authentic stipend, however niggardly.

Overall a reasonably Ref'd overview of the mindsets which [still. does. not. explain. that.) in 2016: Theree exist virtually NO paths for th average person to put small sums into 'accounts' which yield anything beyond the Laughable "return"... GREEAAT for teaching kids How/Why/Where to fucking SAVE, at all.

aka Yup, just about every rock you turn over:
It Sucks to live in Murica for many huge blocks of proles, well into the millions.
(That was not the surprise, natch. The surprise is, in Oklahoma You May Not shoot the poor. Yet.)
Michigan seemed pretty shabby too, but I stopped recording the dismal stats by then.
New I listened to the entire Welfare podacast. Thanks!
Amazing how the welfare program has evolved or more accurately devolved.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New 2k in 30 days?
roll 30 drunks
rip off 10 low level drug dealers
100 car breakins,
hey this is a lot of work!
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New Read a recent book about this very thing
New The many responses, separately
are a decent litmus of the (Then- and) current) 'believability?' of Murican "resolve" ever to "fix" ..even the most egregious idiocies extant.
It almost seems that, the better is a Case Made? the dumth-contingent of smart-asses flock to feign ... not-being-Sure (of any old factoid)

ie Excused.. again

..for another generation.

If there is one.
(Well, I mean: in the dis-US, as may not make the cut. The billions willl still be exponentially growing Until)

Actually though, when I resigned from ... showing-Up? (will have to do) I kinda checked off lots of items on any such list; it was easier than I imagined at outset, via just one filter:

"Do you Want to be a ... perpetual-'Consumer'??" (with the tacit, "Asshole!" appended.)

Oblig quote:
I have the simplest of tastes
I am always satisfied with the best.

--Oscar {supreme-smartass} Wilde
     A Welfare Check - (Ashton) - (4)
         I listened to the entire Welfare podacast. Thanks! - (a6l6e6x)
         2k in 30 days? - (boxley)
         Read a recent book about this very thing - (dmcarls) - (1)
             The many responses, separately - (Ashton)

Where is a super volcano when you need one?
113 ms