IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Inscriptions on the Antikythera Mechanism
Phys.org from June:

For over a century since its discovery in an ancient shipwreck, the exact function of the Antikythera Mechanism—named after the southern Greek island off which it was found—was a tantalizing puzzle.

From a few words deciphered on the twisted, corroded fragments of bronze gears and plates, experts guessed it was an astronomical instrument. But much more remained hidden out of sight.

After more than a decade's efforts using cutting-edge scanning equipment, an international team of scientists has now read about 3,500 characters of explanatory text—a quarter of the original—in the innards of the 2,100-year-old remains.

They say it was a kind of philosopher's guide to the galaxy, and perhaps the world's oldest mechanical computer.

"Now we have texts that you can actually read as ancient Greek, what we had before was like something on the radio with a lot of static," said team member Alexander Jones, a professor of the history of ancient science at New York University.

"It's a lot of detail for us because it comes from a period from which we know very little about Greek astronomy and essentially nothing about the technology, except what we gather from here," he said. "So these very small texts are a very big thing for us."

The team says the mechanism was a calendar of the sun and the moon that showed the phases of the moon, the position of the sun and the moon in the zodiac, the position of the planets, and predicted eclipses. Nothing of the sort was known to be made for well over 1,000 years.

"It was not a research tool, something that an astronomer would use to do computations, or even an astrologer to do prognostications, but something that you would use to teach about the cosmos and our place in the cosmos," Jones said. "It's like a textbook of astronomy as it was understood then, which connected the movements of the sky and the planets with the lives of the ancient Greeks and their environment."

"I would see it as more something that might be a philosopher's instructional device."

The letters—some just 1.2 millimeters (1/20 of an inch) tall—were engraved on the inside covers and visible front and back sections of the mechanism, which originally had the rough dimensions of an office box-file, was encased in wood and operated with a hand-crank.

[...]

Neat.

Imagine how far ahead we would be if that knowledge didn't have to be reinvented 1500 years later...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Some pieces of it may have survived.
Medieval clock making appeared rather suddenly, and in a fairly sophisticated form. Some archaeologists believe some of the techniques were preserved, probably in Turkey.
New Fascinating!
Reminds me of a visit to Delphi where the guide told us that the ancient Greek still makes easy reading to today's Greeks.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New On the other hand . . .
Despite the language, ethnologists are uncertain if modern Greeks are at all related to the ancient Greeks.
New Well, I guarantee you that the guys in this video would not have been recognized...
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Neat. Thanks.
New The outfits would be ridiculous enough . . .
. . without the totally absurd choreography.

The outfits are actually a very highly fantasized version of the garb worn by Greek mountain warriors who fought against the Turks - but I think those guys would choose death rather than wear these foppish versions, never mind having to do the dance.

Of course, I watched some of the other guard changing dances, and they're all nearly as absurd. The Europeans claim to be so "sophisticated" and yet they go and dress up in weird costumes and participate in this sort of absurdity.

Actually, what it most reminds me of is a more formalized version of a parade by the Radical Faeries.

Sheesh!
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus July 16, 2016, 07:58:17 PM EDT
New Short form: Monty Python, hovering near the planet Tralfamador, mimes the goose-step.
New Heh.
I visited Athens in the late '90s. In the gift shop on the Acopolis there was a statue of Neptune or someone. I looked down at his feet and his toes were just like mine - pinky toe substantially shorter than the rest (like a bone is missing or something)!

Not this, but something like it:

I'm 1/4 Greek.

More Proof!!:

A Forestry Professor who apparently loves to pseydo-analyses the origins of ancient statues based on podiatric criteria sent an e-mail to the press woman in charge for the communication of the excavations in ancient tomb of Amphipolis; Yes, we have such a position here: press office of Amphipolis tomb excavations… In an laughable effort to solve the mystery of the Amphipolis tomb origin the professor sat down and developed a theory of his own.

In his e-mail Professor Pavlos Eythimiou claimed that “the tomb of Amphipolis is definitely Greek because the feet of Caryatids are Greek.”

His theory was that a “Greek foot has a longer second toe” and therefore “any foot with longer second toe has Greek genes.”

Furthermore he claimed that “Greek feet” are a matter of genetics and that there have been attempts to hide this …breathtaking reality and replace the patriotic “Greek foot” term by some scientific word from osteology.

I think people have made similar inferences based on ear lobes (attached or not, hanging down or not, etc.) - dunno if there's any real statistics behind this stuff or not, but it's interesting.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks. :-)
New Geez, I must have some Greek roots! :)
Closest match, anyway.

But, then Crimea was Greek in antiquity before the Tatars drove them out.
Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
New Re: Heh.
I've used a chart like that before.

Told my sister she was adopted, and here's the proof.
New rofl. :-)
I seem to be a bit of a mongrel based on that foot chart. My 2nd toe is longer than my big toe, but my 3rd toe is almost as long. So, if you believe that, I'm a mixture of Greek and Roman. But the most striking feature is the pinky toe - it barely reaches the starting point of the 3rd toe.

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott July 17, 2016, 08:51:35 AM EDT
New "None of the above" here.
Big toe longest, next toe to 3/4 of the big toenail, All smaller toes in an arc. My ancestry is all Baltic.
     Inscriptions on the Antikythera Mechanism - (Another Scott) - (14)
         Some pieces of it may have survived. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Fascinating! - (a6l6e6x) - (12)
             On the other hand . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
                 Well, I guarantee you that the guys in this video would not have been recognized... - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                     Neat. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     The outfits would be ridiculous enough . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                         Short form: Monty Python, hovering near the planet Tralfamador, mimes the goose-step. -NT - (Ashton)
                 Heh. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     Re: Heh. - (dmcarls) - (1)
                         Thanks. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Geez, I must have some Greek roots! :) - (a6l6e6x)
                     Re: Heh. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         rofl. :-) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             "None of the above" here. - (Andrew Grygus)

The aliens look like spiders...
82 ms