IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A novel I'll never read
The work gingerly under consideration is The Evolution of Jane, by “bestselling author” Cathleen Schine. It is possible that I am being unfair to the novelist. Certainly I am judging the book by its (back) cover, and am in any event well outside the genre’s target demographic, not being a consumer of what is known in the industry as “chick lit.” It is further possible—although it is apparently common practice for authors themselves to write what they call the “flap copy” for the hardcover editions—that Ms. Schine had nothing to do with the trade paperback blurb I reproduce below, although if she had advance knowledge of it and did not veto the paragraph, she is still a horrible human being. If she did not know about it before the book was printed, or if she was somehow powerless to prevent the offending promotion, then I still fault her for not taking out a full-page ad in the New York Review of Books (to which she is a regular contributor) repudiating it. Anyway, here goes:
Six hundred miles off the mainland, just south of the equator, the Galápagos Islands are home to diverse species of exotic wildlife—and tourists of every stripe and feather. It is here that Jane Barlow Schwartz embarks on a quest as urgent as Charles Darwin’s one hundred and fifty years before: to find out why her childhood friendship with her cousin and soul mate, Martha, ended and what unknown event, family feud, or unintended slight caused the happiest part of her life to become extinct.
Lordie. Just like Darwin. Sheesh.

cordially,
New Yeah, that, but more this
... caused the happiest part of her life to become extinct.

A single thing can't become extinct. A race, a species, perhaps if I'm being generous even an idea ... but a part of your life? No. It ended. Or if you anthropomorphize it died. But a singular thing can't become extinct.
--

Drew
     A novel I'll never read - (rcareaga) - (1)
         Yeah, that, but more this - (drook)

Department of Redundancy Department
32 ms