IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I could not resist.
I was up earliesh this morning, and decided to head to Vietnam, to one of my favorite stores there, Hawaii Supermarket. It is necessary to get there before 10:00am to easily get a parking space.

What I was after was jellyfish. They are the only store that has properly hydrated jellyfish, a tub each for "heads" and "bodies" (the dome part).

I also got some Fresno chilis, which I was out of, and some Thai bananas. Then I looked around for anything else I might be interested in.

Yes! they had a bin of frozen packages labeled "Whole Muskrat" How could I resist?

Well, not quite whole - missing head fur and guts, but I don't need those parts to make a muskrat stew.

So far I have resisted what's there in the second bin to the right of the muskrats, whole armadillos - but it's inevitable that eventually I'll take the risk of contracting leprosy** and buy an armadillo, but they're quite expensive.

Hawaii Supermarket is the only one of the Asian markets that sells live hard and soft shelled turtles - but last week San Gabriel Superstore had a tank of live frogs.

** Most cases of leprosy in the United States used to be contracted from relatives, but the major vector today is handling armadillos.
New You're a brave man. :-)
New Most of my "exotics" have been U.S. sourced
Bear, beaver, squirrel, possum, etc. Some of them just aren't worth the effort unless you're really desperate - squirrel is a lot of effort for not much edible meat. Some need to be cooked right - possum caught early in the winter are greasy as hell and do better over open flame than in a pot.

Then there's bear. I gave it three tries - meatballs in gravy, barbecued, and roast steak - to make sure I was judging the meat, not the chef. Every time the taste and texture reminded me of the muck at the bottom of a still pond.

I'm still first in line to try new things, but armadillo and fugu are off the list.
--

Drew
New Of course, bear is the second most common source of . . .
. . Trichinosis, after free range pigs. Last I heard, walrus was the third.
New There must not be many cases then, because I can't imagine there's a lot of bear consumed.
--

Drew
New The US gets only about 20 cases a year . . .
. . contrasting to thousands in some Asian countries. Trichinosis has been pretty much eliminated from commercial pork, so all cases come from home raised pigs or wild game. Any animal that is not 100% vegetarian can carry this parasite.

Germany is even stricter than the USDA. because they have a tradition of eating raw pork.
New I had bear hamburger a couple years ago. Verdict: Meh.
Then again, could have been because this place ( http://www.roslund.fi/teurastamon-portti/ ) -- like most others nowadays -- was (and still is) so bloody hipster trendy that they serve all meat as raw as possible, and usually a little raw-er still; and I forgot to ask for mine well done.

Fucking fuckwits of the restarateur business, when are you going to learn that the difference between humans and (the other) animals is that we eat our meat cooked?!? One of the few, perhaps the only, thing(s) where I've gotta say: I'm with the Drumpster on this one.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Be sure to tell us if they taste like chicken. :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New OK, I can now testify with authority . . .
. . Muskrat doesn't taste anything like chicken. Maybe something between Beef and Alligator - if you prepare it right.

At dinner tonight I was laughing - a) at my stunning first time success with my Muskrat Stew; b) at the three days of research that made that success possible; c) at the people who would never ever have the courage to try cooking Muskrat; d) at the disasters reported by people who thought they were great cooks and didn't need to do the research; e) at how fabulously this stew went with the Pinot Noir I served with it.

So, I now have my recipe for Muskrat Stew

Of course, the most important instructions are on my Muskrat page.

So, I think I'm starting to get the hang of this cooking stuff - not great by any means, but at least becoming competent.
New You'll certainly be prepared for the Apocalypse!
Make sure all of your hard work is preserved for the End Times. Do you know a stone carver with experience with, I dunno, basalt, handy?

:-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Looks like you're ready for the Appalachian version of Brunswick stew with squirrel meat.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New I would already have done that a couple years ago . . .
. . if I'd known I would get three squirrels in one weekend. Not many squirrels around here this year.
New Step 9 typo
crubms
New thanks. It was a typo I made during the final spellcheck
New Tyop on main (not recipe) page
head-on on
--

Drew
New Thanks
     I could not resist. - (Andrew Grygus) - (15)
         You're a brave man. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Most of my "exotics" have been U.S. sourced - (drook) - (4)
             Of course, bear is the second most common source of . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                 There must not be many cases then, because I can't imagine there's a lot of bear consumed. -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     The US gets only about 20 cases a year . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             I had bear hamburger a couple years ago. Verdict: Meh. - (CRConrad)
         Be sure to tell us if they taste like chicken. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (8)
             OK, I can now testify with authority . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                 You'll certainly be prepared for the Apocalypse! - (Another Scott)
                 Looks like you're ready for the Appalachian version of Brunswick stew with squirrel meat. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     I would already have done that a couple years ago . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Step 9 typo - (crazy) - (1)
                     thanks. It was a typo I made during the final spellcheck -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Tyop on main (not recipe) page - (drook) - (1)
                     Thanks -NT - (Andrew Grygus)

Cococabanana Blaps - It's not just for breakfast anymore!
82 ms